The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil filter sandwich plates!

Street Surgeon

Recently there was a thread in which people were discussing how their oil systems were routed, which filter housing they used, what they used to make it all work, and oil filter sandwich plates/filter relocation plates were brought up. One (or more) members expressed concern and stated that they would NOT use one. Have you folks heard of them spinning off under extreme use or something? I know that occasionally the filters themselves have been known to come loose, sometimes an improperly installed cooler could leak or come loose, but have any of you have a sandwich plate do this? Let me know, I'm interested /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

turbohf

lots of them do not supply filtered oil. along with adding another item that is going to leak on you.

I have used them on some Honda's and been hit and miss. usually seem to leak though. and last one kept wanting to loosen when doing oil changes(when torqued). so I red locktited my buddies when I built his motor. he hasn't complained about it yet.

Street Surgeon

1. Mind sharing what plate or plates you have used?

2. As far as circulating filtered oil it shouldn't be an issue as the plan is to only use it to circulate oil (thermostatically controlled) through the cooler, not to feed oil to a turbo or anything.

Last edited:

GSXftw

I have ran BSE cars for years and years. Once I went to poly mounts with BSE, the sandwich bolt was loosening all the freaking time! I oiled down the track twice in 2015. After the first time I cleaned it all up, red loctite, made a bracket to take the weight off... It didnt matter, sh*t came loose and once I launched it geysered and I spun 1/2 gears in my own oil before I pulled off to the side. Luckily noticed oil light both times and shut it down. Post #118 shows what you need to do click

In short, torque the sandwich bolt to 29 lbs, drill the housing to mark the bolt, remove the bolt, countersink, thread the housing, taper a locking bolt, assemble with loctite or JB weld

Street Surgeon

Thanks for the reply, looks like you were using the factory coolant sandwich there? Good idea with the divot/bolt to hold it in place!

turbohf

Quoting Street Surgeon:
1. Mind sharing what plate or plates you have used?

honestly, not 100% sure on all the brands i have used. i know i have used Endyn, Golden Eagle, and probably some random no names?

i bought baller Endyn one for my ITR to "do it right" and it pissed oil.

pretty sure i put Golden Eagle kit on my buddies piston/rod LSVTEC, and it kept trying to walk. so i took it all apart, cleaned the sh*t out of it, and red loctite it.... his hole car seemed to fight me like that.

think i used a BWR (blackworks racing) on my CRX with its built motor. i bet thats the one that would come loose when i was pulling the filter.

in short. for my motors i try to avoid things that will cause an oil leak now. i remove oil coolers, find other sources for oil to avoid sandwich plates, etc.

oh, i have a GReddy one ill sell ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Street Surgeon

I already have a Greddy unit, thanks though!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts