The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Which OFH should I run?!

GSXftw

The final piece to the puzzle before the engine is good to go. Here is where I'm at

Last time I ran this engine, it was in my dsm, with a side exit and alt in the rear. Once I pinned the sandwich cooler bolt it worked great. Before that when it had exhaust to the rear, I had a mighty max forward facing OFH, which did not have a cooler. I did not like no cooler, and low oil pressures when hot. I also dont like sacrificing oil pressure all the time to run through a cooler on a bypass style, so if an external cooler is used Id like to use a thermostat. This is my first GVR4 build and with AC/FMIC I dont expect a lot of room to play with. Im wanting the most cost efficient way of making this work without adding a lot of stuff in the way. The options Ive played out in my head are-
-NOTE- I know these may not be exactly the right thread/item in the links, just examples
click

and do an oil thermostat, temp gauge, external cooler (have that one already)then tap the pan or block for a return fitting after the cooler

Thanks everyone

EMX5636

I personally don't care for aftermarket cooler plates/sandwich plates/filter relocations etc. If you want the cooler, swap to a 90 DSM housing, and make your own lines (or use the OEM ones if in good shape. Then you get the thermostat and built in pressure bypass if the cooler plugs, and no less room than the 91-94 housing. I deleted the factory sandwich cooler on my 91 housing to gain a bit of downpipe clearance and remove some clutter. If I ever swap housings, it will be for the 90 setup I have laying around.

Street Surgeon

I had a little clearance issue on my old 1G and ended up running a '90 OFH w/cooler but simply relocated the oil filter itself with this adapter, some lines, and this filter mount. That specific mount let me run a Ford Mustang (large 3001 style) filter though you could get one to suit the M20x1.5mm threads a mitsu filter uses. Alternatively, on my current build I'm running the forward facing oil filter housing with a Greddy thermostatic oil filter/adapter block p/n 12401126 so that it gets the filter out of the way, but still runs the lines to an air/air oil cooler. Note that this particular housing also has a built in thermostat etc.

Last edited:

GSXftw

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah after the research last night I did see some of the sandwich adapters like that greddy with the built in thermostat. I like that idea a lot of not having an external Tstat, and keeping things as uncluttered as possible. I cant run a 90 OFH "as is"...I had one and just sold it actually, the oil filter is still totally in the way of DP and I'd still need to buy the remote kit. Well I think I will go over these options and crunch the #s and see what makes the most sense.

EMX5636

Do you already have the downpipe made? I'm sure that the downpipe if pie-cut could clear without too much issue. Of course if you're already past that stage, then a remote/aftermarket setup might be your only option.

GSXftw

No, not till it goes in the car. Ive already done it once with pie cuts though, its a bitch! but yeah I did think about continuing the tight transition past the alternator and getting around the oil filter. For now Im gonna put on the FFOFH, and thatll be good enough to put the engine in the car. Then I can start mocking up the rest

slugsgomoo

I'm running a FFOFH because of fitment, and I will never, ever run a sandwich cooler on a car ever again, even pinned/etc. Too risky to me.

Add on top of that that the water/oil cooler from the factory was to address oil temps not getting hot fast enough in the 90 cars, and our issues are more around thermal load/capacity (let's add more load to an already overtaxed cooling system, hooray!) oil to air is the only thing worth considering. I will run NO oil cooler before I waste my time with a sandwich again, but then I don't see any reason to have a heat exchanger medium that cannot cool below 200*f when I want my oil to run ~180*F

parts_labeled.jpg

I will admit that my oil cooler size has caused me some issues so I'm going to switch out for a smaller setrab and move it into the area behind what would be a front brake duct in the jdm bumper.

I will say that I love this setup because with the FFOFH you can't feed from the housing (typically) and I wanted to avoid using the head feed. My adapter runs the send to the remote filter which sends clean output to the turbo & thermostat, the thermostat loops to the cooler, and under 180* will bypass 90% of flow back to the housing.

001.jpg

I like having the remote filter partly because it gets it away from the heat, and adds capacity (the filter I'm running holds nearly a quart) which can't hurt. the external thermostat isn't perfect, but i had issues fitting my downpipe even with the spin on adapater & AN lines (originally mocked up with an NT filter housing).

Anyway, YMMV.

Last edited:

GSXftw

Thanks man. Yeah I have raced since I was 15 (31 now) and hadnt oiled the track down until this year, did twice in my 1G due to the cooler working loose, even red loctite and all. I pinned it and didnt have issues after. Now that this setup is in the GVR4, its the FFOFH, and will eventually do something very similar to this. I run the 51381 filter, and it BARELY clears the front to back crossmember. So yeah external oil filter and external cooler coming up.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned