The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

610/1000 resto-mod build

NateCrisman

"You think your out - then you get sucked right back in"

Ok, so I picked up #610/1000 on wednesday from Tommyd up in upstate NY, and I originally had no real plan...full partout vs minor partout & sell shell vs fix & flip vs restoration to sell...I literally just knew the price was right and I'd make out on it any path I went down. So I pick the car up....the rust isn't as bad as I'd imagined, and the car is resonating with me.

F-it Im keeping it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif And so it begins.

Here's what I picked up: Dusty & needs cleaning up inside and out...but Im super pumped about it all together. Took his word on it that it runs, frankly...at the price I paid, I generally don't expect a running car anyway....so if it did....gravy.
IMG_1952-L.jpg

IMG_1953-L.jpg

IMG_1986-L.jpg

Here's a few pics after unloading it from trailer and giving it a quick hose bath friday:
IMG_1973-XL.jpg

IMG_1975-XL.jpg

IMG_1983-XL.jpg

IMG_1979-XL.jpg

Cleans up nice. Exterior wise the car is like 6/10 condition.
[*]The hood has a rusted through corner and few dents and needs to be replaced
[*]Clearcoat is failing on the roof, wing, trunk - typical
[*]Grey paint on the JDM-YO bumper covers is cracking and chipping off
[*]I don't like the chrome grill---that's going away for the proper 92 USA spec grill (i should still have one off #139!)
[*]A few minor dings, scratches... [/list]

I think my plan is to find any good condition hood and then vinyl wrap the car in a grey or silver. Im still up in the air on the bumper covers, Im probobly going to keep them until I can find a really mint set of USDM covers that aren't cut/cracked that are worth having painted to match.

Interior is 8/10
[*] ITS ALL THERE!!! both a pillar plastics, both headliner trim plastics, all the grills/covers. Nothing is missing. Even dash badge!
[*]Needs a front seat set...these are 160k mile's of worn out. Good thing I have a set in stock that's perfect
[*]Carpet is also dirty and stained. When seats come out, I'll pull carpet, powerwash, and spray dye black. Will look better than new.
[*]just needs a dusting and vacuuming while the carpet is out [/list]

Mechanicals....lots of work here. I got it to fire on friday on gasoline, but Iv got issues. Tommy said it was smoking, the bottom end is freshly built with wiseco pistons...may have issue with wrong rings. I see oil pooling in the compressor housing of the HX40. Gotta drive it to figure out where the smoke issue is coming from.
[*] Figure out the smoking issue - confirm condition of shortbock, turbo, head
[*]Fuel system is setup for big power on E85...it's way overkill for my intended daily driver use
[*]Intake/turbo system also overkill...Im planning on a 16g,internal wastegate, stock cams, stock manifolds type setup. Something for low 12's
[*]Brakes/suspension...Im not hot on coilovers on a daily driver so they will go and basic KYB's go in. Likely sell the big front brakes and put stockers on. [/list]

So, Iv got work to do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

IMG_1966-L.jpg

IMG_1954-L.jpg

P1120970-L.jpg

P1120978-L.jpg

P1120981-L.jpg

Last edited:

NateCrisman

Oh yeah: Here's the basic modification list as I got the car:

[*] Built bottom - wiseco 9:1 / manley turbo-tuff / stk crank 2.0L
[*] Rebuilt head 1mm os valves, valve springs/3g lifters/hks 272 cams
[*] DNP exhaust manifold, Hx40 with BEP bolt on Housing, Tial external gate, hallman MBC
[*] Custom SMIM with rebuilt and bored throttle body, 2.5" IC pipes, Tial bov, looks like an OEM Evo FMIC core
[*] Stock transmission rebuilt 2010, shifts good ..Im guessing upgraded flywheel & clutch, 4bolt rear
[*] Outlander brake upgrade, non-GVR4 spec brake master, ABS delete (nicely w/ SS hoses), SS brake lines
[*] K Sport coilovers, whiteline rear sway bar, Strut tower bars, polyurathane suspension bushings, prothane motor mounts
[*] Link v3 with speed density, LC1 wideband, omni 4 bar, GM AIT. (came with 2g maf/intake pipe in trunk)
[*] 1450 FIC injectors, Walbro 450 intank pump, Fuel lab AFPR, -6 AN fuel lines
[/list]

Im going to get the car sorted out and running with the major parts that are on it now...but Im most certainly going to sell off much of the "race-oriented" modifications and put a more "daily driver" setup in. I'd like to put it together to be a reliable 12sec everyday driver rather than a 10sec toy weekend warrior that it likely should be as is.

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

They always come back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Glad to see you back at it. Try not to put too big of a dent in the Performance Partout GVR-4 stock, eh?

turbowop

Looks nice. I just don't get why you'd wanna take a step backwards with heavier, uglier USDM-YO bumpers over what the car came with. Other than the rectangles somebody cut into the rear for marker lights, I think those bumpers look like they're in great shape and suit the car nicely. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

citymunky

I with Wop on that one, I wish I could find a GVR4 with the better looking JDM bumpers.

NateCrisman

Quoting turbowop:
Looks nice. I just don't get why you'd wanna take a step backwards with heavier, uglier USDM-YO bumpers over what the car came with. Other than the rectangles somebody cut into the rear for marker lights, I think those bumpers look like they're in great shape and suit the car nicely. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

They aren't heavier, I make aluminum brackets to mount the USA bumper cover.

I just feel hypocritical keeping them on after I call everyone who spends big money on different bumper covers for cosmetics

turbowop

Lighter with custom aluminum supports, sure. They're heavier stock.

$1k for a couple of bumpers isn't big money in the automotive world compared to what most people spend on other platforms. Even for just looks, they're better looking and OEM, so they're worth the cost, IMO.

NateCrisman

Quoting turbowop:
Lighter with custom aluminum supports, sure. They're heavier stock.

$1k for a couple of bumpers isn't big money in the automotive world compared to what most people spend on other platforms. Even for just looks, they're better looking and OEM, so they're worth the cost, IMO.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif The way Im looking at this: If I could sell those JDM-YO cosmetic bumpers for $1000..it would make the car almost FREE to me. That $1000 would go a long way to fixing up the rest of the car..it's enough cash to buy all the mechanical fixes and functional stuff it needs (frozen rear caliper/parking cables, needs motor work for smoking)

Im just not sold on them being better looking either, the front bumper especially seems overtly rice....
41e6sAeqVdL._SX466_.jpg

Im all for a clean stock looking GVR4 that looks well maintained. Im a little wary of putting lipstick on a pig, much less paying $1000 for bacon-lipstick. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

So, If someone offered me cash AND a set of no-damage uncut UDSM bumper covers in trade, Im doing it. But Im not going to take these jdm bumpers off and sell them outright, and be left with nothing to put on. Im not going to go through the trouble to swap parts and put on a cracked/cut front bumper then go through trouble to wrap the car over damaged parts. While Im not hot on the JDM thing..at least these are damage free..once they are sanded down and wrapped over, they will looks mint.

ehhh..610 will likey remain jdm riced, and Im going to remain self-loathing for it. At least I can take solace in the thought that at the very least, I wasn't the sucker that paid a grand for JDM bumpers..hahaha...I got the car pre-riced-out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Last edited:

CutlassJim

I would buy that uncut front bumper from you in a second.Mine is cut and I hate it.

89Patches

JDM parts are cheap for these cars. SW20 MR2 JDM side moldings are $1K for a complete set, Hell I can barely tell the difference. Though calling the GVR4 JDM bumpers rice is a little far. Well I don't actually like the JDM rear but it sure beats having a park bench hanging off the back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

My car must be hella riced out to you, JDM everything! haha

citymunky

I wish my 733/1k front bumper was uncut because I would have been down for a trade in a heartbeat.

ApexHunter

The JDM bumpers were the original design for this car. They look more functional to me, and in typical GVR4 fashion, are about as mellow as it gets for a range topping performance model. The USDM stuff looks like an afterthought, and doesn't really fit the car well IMO. There are plenty of sexy GVR4s with USDM bumpers, but when you compare the side profiles the proportions on the USDM stuff just is a little awkward.

turbowop

Apex has my thoughts exactly. The JDM bumpers were the original equipment in '87 before Mitsu decided to ever export the car to the US. They had to modify the car by giving them those huge bumpers to comply with our 5mph crash standards. It's fine that you seem to like the USDM bumpers better. I just find it strange. Or perhaps you just enjoy going against the grain. No worries, dude.

I also disagree with the lipstick on a pig reference. I think these cars look great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

NateCrisman

Eh, it's just one of those thins that I don't think I care enough about. The car is a box, Nothing is going to change that. Minorly Altering the looks of a car at $1000 cost just isn't worth it to me, I'd rather spend the money elsewhere in functional improvements.

Not saying I don't think it's a good looking car, I love these things. But Im more into it for the performance potential and sleeper status and actual functionality. I wouldn't be into buying different bumper covers for a DSM, a Porsche, or a muscle car either. It's just not my style, I'd just rather have it look like a clean nice stock car.

Not saying I love the usdm bumpers or that they are better. I'm saying I don't care either way and it's not worth $ to me to change it. If I can extract $1000 out the f these jdm bumpers...hell yea....ill take the cash thank you.

The JDM bumpers are just not a $1000 improvement to me, if any improvement at all.

Last edited:

fuel

Following this closely to get 12's out of a near stock (appearing) car!

NateCrisman

Last GVR4 I had as a still very nice street car went 12.0 on a 14b and 11.6 on 16g. this one won't be quite as quick, but pretty much same basic setup.

I pulled the intake manifold, throttle body, and 1450 injectors off today..."up for sale". Tomorrow Im going to get it on my lift and pull the HX40 turbo setup, DnP manifold, and external gate. Possibly the coilovers and front brakes as well.

Then get working to putting stock type stuff on to replace those items.

Last edited:

prove_it

Don't mess with the wop and his love of the JDM bumpers.

Gizmovr4

Wop should worry more about performance and less about bumpers - get that 1051 past the 12 second hurtle.There is enough upgrades under the hood of 1051 to do it! I guess Wop doesn't care about performance like Nate doesn't care about bumpers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Me personally I like both the usdm and jdm bumpers as long as the car perform to its potential!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts