The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Factory radiator fan stays on

thomcasey

I just installed a factory primary radiator fan connected to the stock harness. Fan runs when the key is on all the time. Would this be a relay or the thermal resistor?

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Checking based upon this diagram, I suggest two easier points to work with.

Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Technical Discussions » radiator fan wont shut off

Pull the connector on the engine coolant temperature switch. Thermostat housing area.
Pull the connector on the thermo sensor, lower radiator.

Is the fan running low speed or high speed?

Low is controlled by the thermo sensor (for which you could pull the relay - Rad Fan Low)

High is controlled by the engine coolant temperature switch (for which you could pull the relay - Rad Fan High)

Last edited:

thomcasey

Thanks! I will check it out. The fan is running at low speed. Also of note, I continue to get an ECTS code after car runs for a minute. Sensor and donned its have been changed, continuity verified and ECU verified (3 different ECUs.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned