The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Gvr4 vs Evo8

Has anyone owned/driven both?
I currently have a evo8 and have been curious how they compare as daily drivers, ie braking, handling, ride harshness, etc.
obviously the evo is pretty damn nice in general, but i remember my old gvr4s being enjoyable as well but i never kept them long enough to put many miles on.
I am considering trading down in order to free up the cost difference. i like the evo but i would rather daily drive something thats less costly.

thanks

Last edited:

KiNgMaRtY

I have an Evo 9 and a GVR4. The Galant gets the garage. Although they have many similarities, they are very different. The evo is much newer and most generally most mod the Galant and DSM's to be able to compete with how an Evo comes stock whether it be power or handling. The interior of the Galant even if it is older, just appears to have been constructed with more visual quality. If you are looking for high HP/TQ, without having to break transmissions, the Evo is definitely in a different league.

I love the stealthiness of the Galant and old car look.

faqinshiet

I Love driving my galant. To me it is a more enjoyable drive! Maybe cause I actually put in more work into myself. Suspension wise the evo 9 felt more refine where the galant can be rough but better turn radius. I don't think anyone has noticed the galant as much as the evo was. I think I love the boxiness of the galant over the evo. Monthly payment ($489)and insurance ($178)on the evo were crazy to galants insurance $40. So extra money goes to more parts. The interior of evo way better but I'm stocking up on parts as I find them for the galant. I

car_guy

I approve this question. Many might not think about cross-shopping a 25 year old car with a 10 year old car, but I personally have struggled with very similar debates. I just went from a $30k supercharged SRT8 Jeep to a GVR4 for the very reason you are considering. The Galant will never compare with the amenities of the Jeep, but comfort is relative. Did all that extra stuff, because it was newer, make me any more comfortable? I would say no. My Galant is very comfortable to drive every day and the a/c, although not automatic, keeps me cool just fine. I will probably do mods to make my Galant less comfortable for the sake of handling anyway.

As yourself and others have mentioned money seems to be the biggest deciding factor when it comes to my toys because it is compounding. A newer vehicle is more expensive, as is the insurance, as are the parts. It was going to cost $12k for a built engine in my Jeep. I have seen plenty of built shortblocks for 1G DSMs for around $2k. Although if a vehicle is too old, or too rare you can also struggle with parts costs and availability. Unfortunately the Galant is getting old enough now that parts availability is becoming a struggle. Fortunately drivetrain parts are still readily available due to the the relation to the DSM cars. Then there is the concern from driving a nicer vehicle more often and getting road damage and door dings. That's why I finally sold my GT500. I was so afraid of it setting in a parking lot somewhere and getting hit, or keyed, banged with a car door or grocery cart. It just sat in the garage 99% of the time. With all that being said I do look longingly at times on an Evo for a few reasons. With a newer vehicle it is easier to track the history, and potentially get a vehicle that has been exposed to less rust causing conditions and hacking by less caring owners. Also there are definitely advantages to the improved technology during the 15 year difference.

If you already have an Evo it is "the devil you know". You already know the issues and little quirks. With a GVR4 it can take you months to figure out what has been hacked or broken and then repaired, maybe or maybe not to your standards. You could struggle with gremlins from old hardened wires and hoses for a while.

My recommendation would be to keep what you have and be patient. If you're worried about the payment, it will be gone soon enough. In the end you will have a newer platform with better technology, and parts will be more readily available for longer.

diambo4life

1. Handling. No question. EVO wins. Stock to stock, EVO's ride is obviously harsher.
2. Drivetrain. EVO wins.
3. Appearance. I prefer the looks of the VR4. The fact that most people don't know what it is the greatest curb appeal.
4. GVR4 is easier to work on. Easier to find parts (for an affordable price) than the EVO...to a point. There are some parts that you simply can't find as easily (with many options) for a GVR4. Say a 3" turboback exhaust.
5. Interior, cockpit etc of a GVR4 and even a DSM is far better than an EVO. EVO just feels plasticky inside.
6. Braking in the EVO is superior.

Most of the other stuff is quite similar. MIVEC in the 9s may be a plus over our good old 6 bolt engine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

turbofonz

I absolutely love daily driving a vr-4. I've been doing so for 5+ years, took a break for an srt-4 and got back into one. Love these things. I just picked up an evo 8 also, and don't see me getting rid of the galant. Well maybe, but for another galant:)

Much different cars despite being similar. Both are extremely comfortable in their own ways. You'll like a galant's gearing better for around town, evo's gear are so short. I haven't driven the evo enough to get real world mileage, but my mid 12 second galant would average 24-25mpg.

Jesus_Negros

How hard will it be to find a galant vr4 with ac and in good enough condition to take the daily task?

Driving old cars as dd's can be cheaper. But, things break more often and you'll be hit or mostly miss finding a nice enough galant vr4. Plus, Galant VR4 owners are mostly cheap ass short cut taking folks. Basically the same guys who were beating up 1g dsm's but knocked a girl up and decided "der dsm wida fo doors!". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

ApexHunter

I had a gvr4 and currently have an 8. Despite them being immediate family members, they deliver different things.

I would agree that the Galant's interior has a more quality feel, despite the difference in age. Evo interior is total econocar.

From a performance standpoint, the CT9A VII-IX benefits from almost 15 years of development of the recipe that began with the gvr4 for the '87 model year. Stock to stock, there is a big gap.

But i think that is somewhat irrelevant because i would buy another gvr4 for a completely different reason that i would an evo. To me the gvr4 is a cooler car that i get more satisfaction out of from an ownership standpoint. I like the heritage and it's place in Mitsu rally car hierarchy, i like the styling, and i like that you don't see them all that often or get too much attention.

I swapped my gvr4 for an evo largely for financial reasons. My car needed a lot of paint, body and other time intensive work that i couldn't do where i was living. Had i paid someone to do it, well i just couldn't really afford to do that.

At the end of the day, i can sell the evo for roughly what i have into it. Had i stuck with the gvr4 and needed to sell it in a pinch, it would have been much more difficult to stay in or near the black. One day i will have another gvr4 when i have a better housing situation and more discretionary income.

Quoting turbofonz:
Much different cars despite being similar. Both are extremely comfortable in their own ways. You'll like a galant's gearing better for around town, evo's gear are so short. I haven't driven the evo enough to get real world mileage, but my mid 12 second galant would average 24-25mpg.

my evo goes 12.7s and get 21mpg. the mpg is one of the biggest disappointments in it.

Quoting Turbro_Negro:
How hard will it be to find a galant vr4 with ac and in good enough condition to take the daily task?

from what ive seen, near impossible. for some reason almost every gvr4 seems to have coughed up its ac into the trash. thats a definite no-go for me.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Both mine still feature fully operating R12 systems.

89Patches

I think I'd rather a Evo 9 more than my Galant, it's a cool car but the Evo's are much nicer IMO. I dunno, I just want a car newer than a 2000 for once. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Actually I just spent time to type that and I wouldn't want one more than the other. They're both shitty Mitsubishi's. I'll take a Supra or Mclaren P1. f*** the more I think of it there is so many god damn cars I want. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Last edited:

turbofonz

Quoting trendsetter:
my evo goes 12.7s and get 21mpg. the mpg is one of the biggest disappointments in it.

So far my first tank was 20.x mpg. I had a bunch of WOT and douchey driving, hopefully it'll get better... otherwise this really sucks lol.

EMX5636

Quoting iceman69510:

Same, ice cold all summer long. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paddy1337

I own both.

For a daily it'd be Evo, easy choice. I daily neither, though, and instead drive an F350. Daily'd the Evo for 6 years though.

cheekychimp

Quoting iceman69510:

Mine too.

thecman02

Haven't owned an evo, but driven some for extended periods of time stock all the way to mid 9 second. Stock for stock I prefer the evo. A stock Galant is a dog with excessive body roll. However, once modded I love my Galant VR4 to death. I'm only jealous of the quicker steering rack, and lord knows I've been mulling over a steering quickener for the Galant for awhile now. A more advanced ABS on the evo is pretty nice too, but I'm very used to not having it in the Galant (absdelete). I'm jealous of some of the nicer bolt on aftermarket parts that are sold. I'm jealous of the higher tq limit of the transmissions too.

At the end of the day though when I drive my Galant I get compliments from gear heads, and usually have fun conversations with people who are usually knowledgeable about the car. When I borrow the evo I only get conversations from "bros" and wish I could get my time back.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned