The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ggsx side splitters

tektic

Started a new project. It may or may not intrest you guys since you mostly all have full ground effects. This is going to be my first fiberglass plug/mold project. I mocked it up yesterday in cardboard. I then scanned it to my computer and smoothed out all the pieces.

I will print out the .pdf and trace the pieces on to thin plywood and make two sets. One for each side. I have pink foam to fill in the gaps in the ribs. Should be done tomorrow.

EMX5636

Also interested in how it turns out. Looks promising! Kudos to you for trying something unique.

cheekychimp

Also interested to see how this works out. I have a full AMG kit minus skirts*. Been thinking about possible options for some time.

*No front bumper either but that was planned!

tektic

I only spent a little time but it may prove impossible to mold the pink foam accurately. Expanding foam seems more promising.

Maybe skip the foam and just skin it with fiberglass? I was planning to use the same skeleton for both sides but it might be easer to just make a second setup.

Last edited:

tektic

So I went the other way and used all foam. I removed all the high spots for transitioning. They are pretty symmetrical. Next step will be body filler.

curtis

Just a suggestion but you could have a waterjet/plasma guy cut some master templates out then as you need more you just trace and cut thin plastic board with a razor. Makes for a more even surface which will save on resin and sanding time.

tektic

Thank you. All suggestions welcome, as I am making this up as I go along.

I designed these rib shapes in illustrator and they are not really perfect. Also scale is not really as accurate as it should be in illustrator. For whatever reason I had to print the template out at 110% to fit the cardboard pieces I scanned in originally. I'f I started spending money on this project I'd really like to make sure I knew it would be worthwhile.

To do this right It needs to be modeled in 3D. After seeing how my extrapolated 2D shapes fit to the car I'm actually considering changing a few things. I'm not well versed in 3dsmax or inventor. Wish I was, and keep saying I'm going to work on that. The only 3d Program I am decent with is strata studio. I don't have a copy any more and furthermore I haven't used it in probably 11 years. I have enough trouble remembering how to use In design and photo shop when I need it.

If I was able to design all the the pieces to fit together (without cutting foam) in one of those programs I would definitely have them made. With a couple alignment dowels so everything stacked perfectly? That would be sweet, but as soon as I have to sand something to shape pieces myself, this is where the variation comes in. I'm pretty sure in this particular case without a complete redesign I wouldn't be much better off with jetted templates over my wooden ones. Mostly because of the crudeness of the original 2D drawings and the methods I'm using to cut and shape foam (jig saw, kitchen knife, Bench grinder). This is being made in a movie prop / art project manor and not so much engendering. I don't have the experience or resources to do the latter.

It's raining out here today I don't know if that adversely effects the way body filler cures or not. I'm going to put this off just in case.

I need to start insulating my house and changing windows before it gets colder. I'm running out of days before my next side work project takes up all my spare time. I was suppose to start it this Tuesday. Everything has been held up and is out of my control.

tektic

Some test fit shots.

I think there a little too big. I'd also like to make it more angular and less round. No time to work on it though.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned