The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

an flair savers

tektic

Anyone using these? They are 37 ° copper washers that are supposed to help seal hic fittings. This is hopefully theaanswer to my issues with an fittings.

Every time I used an an fitting it leaked. I'm obviously doing something wrong. Is there some basic knowledge I need to know that I'm possibly overlooking?

CutlassJim

By hic did you mean jic? I've used auto style AN and industrial style JIC Connections for years and never had one leak unless it wasn't tightened. Maybe the 37.5° sealing surface got messed up and you need a new fitting?

tektic

Yes. Spell check.
I've had some issues with the set pins getting sucked in from I'm guessing over tightening? Once tight they don't easily swivel. After that they leaked from the pin were useless. This could be just cheaply made fittings.

I purchased better fitting this time but just so I know. How tight is tight enough? Am I suppose to apply lube to the threads or mateing surface? Anything else to be aware of?

CutlassJim

Nothing on the sealing surfaces and anti seize on the threads.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
What brand AN fittings are you using? I have always stuck to Earls, Aeroquip or Russels. Just wondering.

Street Surgeon

I only use Earl's AN fittings with the exception of the uber rare fitting that might be a specialty item from another brand but have never had any leak issues but some of my friends have used the cheaper fittings with mixed results. Regarding how to tighten them I've used this guide with success.

Quote:
The torque values apply to machined fitting connections only, not flared tube or compression. Fitting mating faces and threads should be lubricated prior to assembly. Generally the system working fluid (engine oil, hydraulic etc.) is used. If another lubricant is used, insure it is compatible with the working fluid and system. Dry assembly should be avoided if all possible.

tektic

Well. It happened again.

Pin got sucked in an it leaked.

The other three connections workd fine.

EHmotorsports

what brand are you using? cheap china brands if that is what you are using are never going to be consistent.

EMX5636

Yes, stick with a name brand fitting company, and don't overtighten them. They do NOT need to be cranked down. I usually go finger tight, then usually no more than 1/4 turn. Click. I usually use the "flats" method.

I have used the flair seals, but they aren't meant for aluminum IIRC,I use them on big steel fittings at work.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned