The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

rear deck mid bass speekers

tektic

I'm running a mid grade deck and replacing the torn stock speakers. I put some new Jensens I had in the doors and have some Rockfords with a crossover for the dash. I'm not going to be using a sub but still want to hear some bass.

First question, can I fit a bigger speaker in the rear deck without cutting the metal? Second question, does it make sense to get bass drivers and power them off the deck? Or am I better off just putting in a 2 way speaker?

GSTwithPSI

Whatever you do, you're going to need to power your speakers with an amp if you want good bass. A quality 6.5" rear speaker should be large enough to get decent mid range bass if amplified. You could go to a 6x9 or something, but I don't know of a way you'd mount them without cutting. And, without cutting, you'd be covering a large part of the speaker cone, which seems counterintuitive to me.

I actually considered getting something like this and mounting it under the passenger seat click . But, I decided for the cost, I could just drop a small subwoffer in the trunk and be better off. I'm no car audio expert, but I've never been able to get GOOD mid range bass out of a set of component speakers. By the time I turn them up and actually get some bass out of them, they distort. Maybe someone here has the magic recipe. I've just always added a subwoffer and was done with it. Don't get me wrong, my stereo sounded great before I added the sub, but I always enjoy the extra depth a subwoffer adds to the system.

cheekychimp

I have actually found those low profile under the seat sub-woofers to work surprisingly well to be honest. Certainly as comparable as a smaller woofer in the trunk. I do power mine off of my amp though. I'm sure you can do better with a large woofer (or several) in a proper enclosure in the trunk, but you lose a lot of space doing that.

tektic

I actually have 2 different dual 12" sub boxes and two different amps. Also 2 different single sub boxes. One 10" alpine and one dvc square 12" solobaric. I just not sure I want it in this car. I was trying to build an autocross car after all.

I'm probably going to throw in a set of 3 way pyle's. They're the best rated speakers $20 can buy.

GSTwithPSI

Yeah, I completely understand the feeling. I just got tired of rolling around, not being able to really enjoy my stereo. Driving with the windows down, and trying to hear over the exhaust sealed the deal for me. But, I've accepted the fact my car is not being built to be an all out race car. If I were putting a purpose built auto X car together, I probably wouldn't want to throw in a sub either. I built a small box that tucks into the corner of the trunk area, which works nicely. Charles (Bobdole) has a REALLY nice box in his car. It's the cleanest subwoffer install I've ever seen in a GVR-4 (that can be said for much of his build). I'd like to build something similar myself eventually.
G5MzSm.jpg

cH0upo.jpg

tektic

Yeah, that is nice.

I ended up buying 2x sets of Rockford Fosgate R165X3 for my daily. I have a set of Polk components I can install in the galant. They do lack bass response though. I guess I could run another line to the trunk I just wasn't planning on it. And the rca lines too. I just had the carpet out...

gvr4ever

You might be able to get these to fit in the rear deck.

click

For sub drivers, you usually want to use a deck with a sub out and a extra amp.

Also, drivers usually want a box. A few might be designed for open baffle.

You can find free programs to get an ideal what box a driver needs. I haven't checked on the drivers above. They are just really cheap and Peerless makes some nice stuff.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned