The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The First and only....GVR4 trailer?

TurboTurtle

Back story:
Got the car for FREE. I worked on 1399 when a guy 10 minutes away seen my vr4 and needed his worked on. I traded work done to his car (i know own 1399) for 1388.
I was going to use it as a parts car, scrap it and be done with it. But i own 1389.... and now this is 1388. So i couldnt easily just dispose of it.
1994: Car was hit hard in the passenger front corner. To this day even after being nearly totaled and fixed the frame is still bent a little, and bondo is coming off on some spots
1999; Timing was done at a dealer and the 6 bolt walked. Huge whole in the back of the motor. Car was put in a garage from 1999 to 2005, Last guy bought it, stored in his garage from 2005-the day i bought it.

REASON WHY I WONT SELL IT WHOLE; Because its been asked 1000 times. I own the car, i know its been in an accident and i wont risk someone elses life for money.

Pics of the i went to look at it:
img.php

img.php

img.php

img.php

img.php

Plan of action
Cut off front the firewall forward
Cut out firewall and weld a sheet metal panel in
Cut out floor and weld in sheet metal panels
Cut out trunk floor and make it bigger to hold tools and what not
Make sunroof and door windows still work

Want to make this a trailer to:
haul parts / tires to races and large car meets for 1389
Make a camper...aka put a blow up mattress in, for the shootout and other events.

G

Staff member
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

AnotherNewb

So you want to whack the front clip off, put a tongue on it and use it as a trailer? Awesome idea, I hope you plan on moving the axle up to take some weight off the tongue. You should turn the whole trunk and back glass into a hatch.

galantgti

Such a shame.... In about ten years, a lot of people will regret parting their gvr4 out or scrapping them, Mark my words......

Damn, the gvr4 partouts are going faster than they could build them back in the day....

TurboTurtle

Tough crowd lol

Not being a dick but, Pretty sure I put 3 times why I didn't want to sell it to someone else for being structurally unsound for the road as a car, not risking that. Beyond that, every nut & bolt snaps right off.

Screw 10 years...I regret already having it in my driveway sitting here as a shell. I have 3 of them and buy everyone I can find that's decent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Purists will be purists, but its this or the scrapyard.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting TurboTurtle:
Not being a dick but, Pretty sure I put 3 times why I didn't want to sell it to someone else for being structurally unsound for the road as a car, not risking that.

That doesn't make any sense. It would be one thing if you didn't disclose it had been in an accident to a potential buyer. It's another if someone is willing to buy it and do the restoration work, fully knowing the extent of the damage. It's just metal. If someone with the knowledge, time, and money has access to the right tools, anything can be fixed within reason. Case and point: click

Personally, I'd much rather see the car restored than turned into a ghey camper trailer. But hey, that's just me. If executed properly, it can be kinda cool, but again, I'd never been seen dragging something like that behind my car.

I give you, 1.5KGT beer keg BBQ trailer thingy:
DSC00704.JPG

DSC00710.JPG

DSC00709.JPG

DSC00705.JPG

DSC00706.JPG

DSC00707.JPG

DSC00708.JPG

prove_it

What I don't fully understand is that if you have the resources and fabrication skills to cut this up and build a trailer out of it, then why can't you rebuild the frame rail and save the car? Repairing the frame rail would be less work.

I agree with GST, someone out there would be more than happy to do this.

TurboTurtle

Hood didn't line up all the way, rubbed on the fender
Rear subframe that was in the car was twisted and then bent back. I'll try to get pictures
They put a brand new windshield in, in 1998 and it cracked because its not perfectly back to shape
Driver and passenger door don't shut right.
The A and C pillar on the driver side have heavy bondo that's coming off and it shows how back the hit was
The passenger side headlight was self tapped in because the bolt holes weren't close.
Whole roof has to be replaced with new sunroof.
I can keep going on.

Its not a small problem that's easy to fix. its a domino effect of the whole car and it'll cost thousands to fix it right.

Want to point out theres no title either. Its rough in NY to get one that's been salvaged twice. More of a headache I want to deal with.

Never in my life thought everyone would be so negitive, especially after seeing every vr4 being parted out and video'd being scrapped. Its hilarious.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
That is a much more complete description, and makes much more sense. A twisted unibody is a very rough fix.

89Mirageman

If it was twenty years down the road I'd jump on the band wagon and argue for you to repair it too. But there are just too many rust free, straight shells with clean titles out there still. I honestly think the trailer thing would be cool. Be sure to keep us posted.

92_talon_awd

I think it would be interesting to see although I'm not sure about getting a comfortable sleeping situation in there lol. Keep us updated!

curtis

turbowop

Quoting 89Mirageman:
If it was twenty years down the road I'd jump on the band wagon and argue for you to repair it too. But there are just too many rust free, straight shells with clean titles out there still. I honestly think the trailer thing would be cool. Be sure to keep us posted.

Agreed. Do whatever you want with it, IMO. IDGAF. Just don't stance it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/keke.gif

Jesus_Negros

Stance it.

Do what you want it's your car, but if I wanted a trailer to look like the back of a VR4, I would get a front wheel drive 88-93 body and transplant the trunk wing and trim, wheels and so forth from the GVR4. Use the GVR4 for parts. The advantages would be the FWD rear suspension set up is better for a trailer and the trunk has more room, floor might be flatter also.

matt92vr4

I ate a cheeseburger off of that 3kgt bbq trailer. It was pretty good.

NateCrisman

Quoting TurboTurtle:

Hood didn't line up all the way, rubbed on the fender
Rear subframe that was in the car was twisted and then bent back. I'll try to get pictures
They put a brand new windshield in, in 1998 and it cracked because its not perfectly back to shape
Driver and passenger door don't shut right.
The A and C pillar on the driver side have heavy bondo that's coming off and it shows how back the hit was
The passenger side headlight was self tapped in because the bolt holes weren't close.
Whole roof has to be replaced with new sunroof.
I can keep going on.

Its not a small problem that's easy to fix. its a domino effect of the whole car and it'll cost thousands to fix it right.

Want to point out theres no title either. Its rough in NY to get one that's been salvaged twice. More of a headache I want to deal with.

Never in my life thought everyone would be so negitive, especially after seeing every vr4 being parted out and video'd being scrapped. Its hilarious.

Coming from the Grim Reaper: I think the trailer idea is AWESOME....frankly, I think your adding value by making something unique out of a junk car that would otherwise have a hard time getting a few hundred bucks for. I wouldn't go nuts on the camper idea, but a small trailer that can hold a set of race tires, toolbox, food, grill, and supplies would be freaking awesome. you might have an easier time actually selling a GVR4-Trailer than a GVR4-running-car!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

89Mirageman

You could make a slide out for a bed or something and use jackstands to hold one end up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned