The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New wire harnesses

bradrs

Not exactly for a VR-4, and not 100% plug in. But they are making some for a 1G DSM, all new connector, wire etc. With additional wires in the harness for expansion:

click

I've talked to several companies that were working on these at different points over the past several years, but they never seem to come through with the parts. Rywire appears to be the first one to actually come to market with it.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Why are they still using wire clip type connectors for the injectors? Should use the 2g type.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Also, O2 sensor connector?

GSTwithPSI

Quoting iceman69510:
Why are they still using wire clip type connectors for the injectors? Should use the 2g type.

Lol. They used the "bad connector copy" at that... click

@ $650 you'd think they would have used the 2g version.

I think the only way this gets done right is if Brad does it himself. I'm assuming he probably supplied half of the connectors for it anyways. I'd pay $650 for a harness that was done right. There's nothing about that Rywire harness I'd want to pay $650 for.

Disclaimer: It's nice this is being offered becuz thanks for supporting the DSM platform and all DSM owners are cheap asses and cry when people ask lots of money for stuffz and we should be grateful blah blah blah k thanks bye

Last edited:

bradrs

Quoting iceman69510:

I recall asking them about the connectors a while back. They do have the metal clips, but they aren't exactly the 1G type. I think they are the Tyco/Bosch type where you press the metal clip down to release, so they are easy to release also.

bradrs

Quoting GSTwithPSI:

@ $650 you'd think they would have used the 2g version.

I think the only way this gets done right is if Brad does it himself. I'm assuming he probably supplied half of the connectors for it anyways. I'd pay $650 for a harness that was done right. There's nothing about that Rywire harness I'd want to pay $650 for.

They already had most of the connectors, I think I helped with just one or two oddball ones. The problem with me doing it, is time. I've got WAY too many projects already. It would take forever for me to do one, because of how particular I am.

So I just try to get the parts available, for people who can make the harnesses.

I have the 2G injector connectors in case people want them. But the metal clip style Rywire used are quick release too.

Regarding the O2, I THINK they left that open so people could install a wideband or whatever they wanted to do. I don't recall right now, and they don't list it on there.

Quoting GSTwithPSI:

Disclaimer: It's nice this is being offered becuz thanks for supporting the DSM platform and all DSM owners are cheap asses and cry when people ask lots of money for stuffz and we should be grateful blah blah blah k thanks bye

I like that it actually got completed. I've sold connectors to several other companies in the past who were developing harnesses, none have actually completed one. Rywire seems to have a good reputation for quality too. So it sounds like a very good option for people.

JNR

Curious what the difference isxwith 2G clips and how they are better? Is it something wirth upgrading down the road?

Only issue I've had with the stockers is making sure the clip doesn't gall in a peculiar pita spot, lol.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
John, they are just easier to use. They have squeeze-to-release tabs on the sides, don't require fiddling with the stupid tiny little clips. For those of us who work on these cars too much (raises hand), they are much nicer. I have converted both of my VR4s.

Making a new harness it would be sensible to me to use them if available.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting bradrs:
Regarding the O2, I THINK they left that open so people could install a wideband or whatever they wanted to do. I don't recall right now, and they don't list it on there.

Do they have a circuit for it? I suppose you are probably right that the target customer for this would be more likely to run a more advanced setup than the stock O2.

bradrs

Quoting iceman69510:
John, they are just easier to use. They have squeeze-to-release tabs on the sides, don't require fiddling with the stupid tiny little clips. For those of us who work on these cars too much (raises hand), they are much nicer. I have converted both of my VR4s.

Making a new harness it would be sensible to me to use them if available.

JNZ pointed out something interesting to me in the discussion on those 2G injector connectors. They only ran them for maybe a year or so from Mitsubishi, then went back to the original wire clip style. I don't know if this is due to reliability, cost, or some other random production reason. But it is interesting. My 95 2G has the original clip style. I was told only some 96s(and possibly 97s) have the easy to release from the factory. The Evo uses the same wire clip style as the 1G.

Here are the pics of the 2 from my website, for reference:

1G style:
click

2G style:
click

And I think the Rywire harness uses one similar to this:
click

And I do think they have the circuit for the O2, it might go to that 6 pin expansion connector. I don't recall for certain.

Last edited:

JNR

Thanks for the info on the connectors and yeah, sounds good if you are doing swaps a lot and such...I've done 3 diff. injectors aleady and have already thought about a 4th haha.

Hmm, wonder why they put them back. I would imagine they physically fit the same, so maybe it was a wiring connection issue...who knows.

Changing the entire harness is the way to go...although that is quite a lot of money and esp. if it is not top notch and not 100% plug and play for us..too bad they don't have the femand of others as painless wiring and the like are pretty good and reasonable.

bradrs

I was never impressed with the quality of Painless. Their engine harnesses are in the same price range. Zip tied only, no wire coverings. They do plenty of low cost or unsealed connections. And I don't know that they do a good job of adjusting wire gauge to match demand. Rywire did sound like they were doing a good job of paying attention to that stuff.

But Painless is better now than they were before. It seemed like a few years ago I looked at their kit, and it was a box of wire, and some crappy connectors you had to crimp on yourself.

JNR

Didn't realize painless was like that...I never bought one of their complete harnesses but did buy a hot start relay way back when, as well as a fan controller (iirc)...they were good quality but pretty simple assemblies to not be I guess. Ended up doing my own harnesses and a heavier duty replaceable relay base so remibds me I should sell tgat one haha. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Street Surgeon

Who wants a stock harness anyway? I'd be having him use different connectors for the injectors (FIC 2150 stuff), speed density or evo maf etc. etc.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts