The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Re-Introducing 995/1000

desant78

Hello Gvr4.org

It's been a long time since I've posted here. Back in 2012, I bought 995/1000 and did what I thought at the time was a ton of work. You can see the old thread here First Time Build: 995/1000 It was really the first car I ever built, and it was in a friends pole barn with aluminum walls. I learned a TON from the building the car, screwing up the building the car, and this forum in general. Since I got this car driving, I've applied my newly developed "basic car knowledge" and went on to build a few other cars. Along a friend who fabricates, we built a rb25 s13, ls1 s14, ls2 350Z, my roommates spec miata, and my favorite one (aside from the vr4!) a Turbo 3.0L H6 05 STI (we did this before might car mods I swear!)

The twin scroll header we made for the STI

Along with fabricating misc pieces for friends like this camaro, we did all the intercooler piping, rather large down-pipe, hot side exhaust, and kept it twin scroll.

*See more at our facebook Side Street Motorsports

Anyway, as I have gotten the chance to work on other cars, the car I learned it all on has sat and been poorly neglected. I finally have a place to work on cars on the side for fun, AND work on my vr4 at the same. We just got this place in June, so now it's time to give the VR4 some love. I never changed the cam shaft seals originally, and they leaked pretty bad.

The car looks worse than it is, because last October (right after MOD luckily!) the alternator died, and as I was half limping it home, the shift fork snapped in half. With out the time or space, it has sat. But now as you can see, we have space for me to show some love!

So long story short, I am pulling the motor to clean up motor bay, switch out seals I never did the first time around, replace the motor mounts, and just make the car presentable again. I'll be re-doing the IC piping because the last time around was down right embarrassing (hence why there are no pictures of it!).

And I'll keep this last plug short, if anyone needs any sort of welding/prototyping done let me know! I have here a MIG and TIG, but also have access to a water jet

that is how we are able to fabricate so many random things. Anyway, the fabricating is strictly on the side, I'm an engineer by day, stuck in the cube farm with DustyDuff (who this forum needs to pressure to get his car running again!) and just provide fabricating to slightly offset this expensive hobby. Well its good to be back, and I'll be posting updates of the rebuild/freshen up/fixing the mistakes I made three years ago.

Thanks for reading this novel!

Last edited:

tektic

That shop can be like the north east import car skunk works. The things I would do with a water jet....

Most involve rwd swap parts and piston motors in rx8s.
That 6 cylinder swap was awesome btw!

Last edited:

desant78

So, after years of the car sitting in a warehouse, I'm going to try and finally put humpty dumpty back together. Hopefully as I get momentum, I'll post the progress here. The build won't be fancy, but hopefully it'll actually end this time and I can continue to put miles on this car.

I'll continue the progress here since really the build started here THAT long ago /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
3 years, no sweat. My 91 has been sitting longer than that, and I hope to have it running this year. Good luck.

4Grim

Welcome back..good to see you still have the Galant.

I think a few of the old timers here have taken a hiatus.

desant78

Shane!!!!

All is great man!! The vr4 situation hasn't changed at all, so not much is new /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif how about you man? Still in AZ?

desant78

Quoting 4Grim:
Welcome back..good to see you still have the Galant.

I think a few of the old timers here have taken a hiatus.

Damn, well I'm still glad the forum still seems to be alive! I can't stand the FB groups in general, nothing against the people but between the format and inability to search, it's just not the same to me.

desant78

I have a two step plan,

Step 1: Bring car to my house
Step 2: Finish car.

Looks like I'm 50% done!

*Note: I'm trying to add pictures, but I can't seem to do it. Did anything on how to upload images change? I'm under 2mB.

transparentdsm

Quoting desant78:
Shane!!!!

All is great man!! The vr4 situation hasn't changed at all, so not much is new /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif how about you man? Still in AZ?

I'm up in Southern Oregon(freaking love it here, its amazing), bought a modular home(93 double wide with a real roof) in a trailer park, im going to be opening a performance shop soon, I got a 2000 sq ft space, a lift, a wheel alignment machine, going to be ordering the tire machines soon and currently saving up to buy a piece of land to move my house to and build a shop on.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts