The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Misterfixit's new OLD.. old Galant Project

misterfixit

Hi All,

It's been too long, and It's been a bloody emotional Christmas and new year. But some good news finally, and I can write about it.

1st there was some family sh*t, all that went off and well let's just say I feel properly narked and was without the car I'd put years into, and massive amounts of effort and soul.
So ffw'd a little and this gem in the rough is mine for the taking.

(Gem in the rough = basket case about to be broken up)

So it's a 1991 Galant GTI with most of the interior and other bits in the trunk and back seat. It had sat for a LOOOOONG time after being worked on at a body shop. And needless to say it was ropey in MANY areas.

It has the little known option of the flintstones floor on the driver side and some funky retrofitted steering rack where they have gas axed the front cross member. But here's the thing.
Here's the real thing. It's MINE. I have clear title, all papers and open deed of sale, I'll not be making the same mistake again.

Now it looks like a heap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif. and there's no getting away from it. as it stands it is, but the purchase included (on this car) all the parts to resock what I'd used after repairing my green car in the UK and a wiper type rear screen and a funky Evo 0 hood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif. After the last mission to build a car my wife and I had a think and we decided to get this shed towed up to Baguio to wrench on:

Now it's here it's all torn down and I've been through 80% of the parts ready to put back, papers were complete this weekend so now I'm a very happy bunny and I can show my project.

After a bit o polishing 2 years of dirt from standing out side here is the result:

Now the sharp ones will have spotted the locks and chrome trim and front door handle are painted, well the rear is too, it just has been painted black over the top. (Another thing to fix once the thing runs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif).
Here's the firewall from the inside:

The engine bay has been given the once over, but the person who used to fill the brake fluid had the shakes real bad. the red is lead oxide primer, but it's now cleaned up and painted white.

So I have to say 'maraming salamat mga peeps!' who helped me thus far, now I can start to build it back up. If this week is a little less crazy than the last I'll be able to get a few nice daylight shots of it clean and shiny inside before I start putting bits back!

Cheers!

Rich

misterfixit

Haha... yeah.

I'm done with the evo dream. flipped my Evo2 kit into the deal along with a whole bunch of stuff as I move on.

Cheers!

Rich

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Dash cluster in KMH? I see LHD! Yeah baby!

Glad you are happy and things may be smoothing out (not knowing the details of aforementioned family situ).

I noticed you have grey colored Galant/Eagle rims on there. Just getting my rims painted to fit on the Colt and
low and behold, it's almost the same color.

Hey, your son must be old enough to do a little body prep eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Living up to your screen name! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

misterfixit

Hi Folks,

For those who were expecting great things of this build (me included) I have to give that let down last episode...
Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Rich,

Expecting good things to come in this build just like all of your others. So, guessing you no longer have the Lancer?

Yup the Lancer was sacked off and sent on it's way, with a few mementos kept.
The Galant however became 'abbreviated'

So there's some serious flashback catch-up stuff to spin through.

Well as I was a temporary transfer to the Philippines, I was told April 2015 I'd be redeployed back to the UK, so that cut the car plans a bit. I'd brought everything back to get the car going, so I threw it together to the point I still had all the new parts 'baggable' and canvassed for offers on the whole car.
I got tyre kickers who wanted to pay peanuts as it didn't run at that point, so I did the math and it was worth more in bits.

We had a container coming home so a huge amount of stuff I wanted to keep went in, here's everything getting ready to go down the mountain to be loaded:

It was funny as I said to my pal Jun after we couldn't find anyone to take the car, take what you want i'm scrapping whats not going to the UK. He came and asked me over a course of days for little stuff before it clicked he could have anything he wanted that wasn't being loaded.

So when the car finally was junked the only things it had on it were seats, a bare dash, the bottom end and trans and a rear axle. Literally everthing else was stripped.

I didn't take any pix (Probably should have) but I have the plates here in the UK so I can rock two types of foreign plate now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rich

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts