The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#610/1000 Current status

Tommyd

So I don't post nearly enough but I figured might as well start now. I've had the car for nearly 2 years now but in that time I've moved 3 times going from Indiana to lower NY and now to upstate NY. I had your typical "built" motor with a pte 60 trim and since I moved away from e85 I went with a 1000cc injector combo with meth injection. Everything was working well, I barely drive the car so I was slowing re-doing everything that had been dsm'ed and trying to make it right.

Well rewind to a few months ago. Just going out for a cruise and a boosted s2k started messing with me on the streets which quickly escalated to pulling onto the highway and just going all out. We were just going at it on a pretty empty highway for a solid 2 minutes. Before I really noticed, I was in 5th gear at just below 7k and sh*t started going crazy.

Fast forward to this month. Finally got the car up to the new place up here in Saratoga area. Did a leakdown test that said I had some intake valves that weren't seating. Chased the initial problem down to fuel pump failure. Took the head off and well, pictures are better.

The block itself is in decent shape, which is good. But between working 6 days a week and taking care of grandma, I probably wont be able to do much until spring time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif . Good news is 3 miles from the new house is gas station that sells e85, already have the injectors and fuel pump(s), now its just modding up a fuel sender, some new line, and figuring out what pistons to go with after I get the block fixed up. Something about a hx40 on corn just gets me really excited. But for now, she will sit on jack stands.

Wookalar

Did you beat the boosted s2k? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tommyd

Quote:
What pistons are those? Ross?

No, wiseco. The 4032 alloy, not the 2618. Ill take another picture but that one is very deformed now. Only 1 other piston had slight damage. The other 2 are still usable. The car actually ran like this, but not well. Swapped plugs since the electrode was gone in in one of them.

And before the highway light to light it wasnt even close. Didnt even have to launch it. We didnt beep or anything once we pulled on the highway, just kinda put the pedal down. I short shifted into 5th to not beat my engine too much so he went about 2 lengths ahead of me. Then we just hauled at whatever speed it was for a solid 40 seconds, neither one of us gained or lost any ground. I didnt realize until I started over heating that I was at 6900rpm in 5th. Not the fastest I've driven something, but both other vehicles I've been 160+ didnt resemble a brick

Tommyd

So work has slowed down a bit so I was able to do some work on the car. Removed pistons/rods/ect and checked the block. Everything was still in spec. Went ahead and re-honed everything. Bought Wiseco 9:1 so I can still run pump and made a dual pump tank hanger for e85. She went on a diet and removed all the abs related equipment and got a ss braided kit from jnz. Also decided to upgrade the brake master cylinder as well as the front brake set up as well so I'm currently trying to decide what to do.

Also decided to to remove the front control arms to replace the bushings and found this.

Luckily its still solid so I can weld it up and give everything a good coat of paint. And although I have loved my cyclone intake, I have started fabbing up a smim and really thinking about ditching t25 bolt on exhaust flange so I can really open up the hx40 up top. But in the mean time a lot of wire wheeling, painting, and assembly. And here's how it is now.

CutlassJim

Whole new front control arms with new ball joints are nice and cheap. I picked up a Raybestos set from Rockauto and they look and fit perfect. (/end shameless plug)

Tommyd

Hmm, I did not know that. Figured I'd have to find a used one. Thanks

Tommyd

So its been a few months. With everything going on here, this was thrown on the back burner. Checked cylinders for any scratches and then bore. Everything was surprisingly great, just needed a good hone. Threw some new Wiseco's with a 9:1 comp and buttoned everything back up on the bottom end. Had a spare head built(1mm oversized valves, springs, retainers, ect ect) and threw my hks 272s back in with a mls head gasket.

Among everything else, threw on the new 3g brake master cylinder, abs delete kit from jnz, and outlander brackets with some new Hawks pads. Had a buddy make a SMIM that I designed on Inventor, new 63mm throttle body and some other minor odds and ends. So here's how she sits now

Still have to put control arms and front suspension components back on, but she's getting there. Then I'll get the hx40 on there and start tuning her for some corn. Unfortunately this may be it with her as I am in the process of buying the plumbing business I manage up here in Albany/Saratoga, NY from my boss. Between money down for the business loan and buying a shop, I'm coming up a few thousand short and my girl keeps hinting its time for the car and other toys to go. We shall see what happens in the coming months.

prove_it

Hmmm, let's see, a HX40 with 9.0:1 on E85 with a high flowing head....

Yea, better make sure that suspension can handle that. Sir, that will be a beast. What are you tuning with?

Tommyd

Link v3. I've been really impressed with it, especially since my last aem unit on my Saabaru gave me a headache. They fixed everything under warranty, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. I realllllly wanted to go 10.5:1 but I'd be strictly limited to e85 and someone on here gave me a great deal on the pistons.

It has K-sports coils already, whiteline sb's, adjustable rear control arms, bushings all pretty much done(a 1 or 2 bushings havent been swapped but they are surprisingly good shape). After fixing the front control arms and bushings, I wanted to drop the rear subframe again and sandblast everything, paint and re-install as well as new coil overs and active toe eliminators but now everything else is kind of on hold until I see if I can come up with extra cash with out putting her on the For Sale page

Tommyd

So I'm hoping by this weekend she'll be up and running. Everything has come together quite nicely. Still waiting on some odds and end to be delivered, but front suspension should be on Sunday and I can plumb in all the vacuum lines and start prepping a base tune. I'm really excited to drive the car with a one piece steel front strut tower brace. You really don't realize the difference until you switch it. We did it on my buddies rx7 recently and on back to back runs it just felt so much more solid.

I'm hoping in the next few weeks I'll know whether or not I'll need to proceed with a small business loan or officially have a silent partner. If the latter happens, I'll be able to keep the car and start phase II, body work and undercarriage next winter. Stupid business loans want at least 10% down, and after buying a new shop with closing costs, I sadly don't have an extra 30k just laying around. As much as I love all other cars and want to do other "nicer" cars, there's just something unique to these I cant let go of. The Audi All-Road project is already being sold, I'm just hoping I can keep this one.

(sorry for the shitty quality in advance, my new phone camera sucks)

So this is where she stands as of tonight. Installed some new "short route" intercooler pipe, rest of intercooler pipe, radiator, and Thermo-tec exhaust blanket. Hopefully this Sunday I'll have a video to post. I found a tuning shop in Ravena, NY(just south of Albany) that has an AWD dyno. Guy is really cool, when ever it is slow I can bring it over there and tune it myself on the dyno. I'm slightly worried my trans wont take it though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Looking good. Best of luck with the business loan, etc.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts