The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Where to mount an EGT probe

GSTwithPSI

I'm looking to install my EGT gauge, but I'm not crazy about knocking a hole in my FP race manifold. Mounting the probe after the turbine is pretty much pointless, so that's not an option. Do I have to just suck it up and drill a hole in one of the runners, or is there a feasible alternative option that will still yield accurate readings?

turbowop

Personally, I think this day in age with the better tuning tools we have, the EGT isn't needed. My probe is mounted in the #1 runner, but when I swap to my FP manifold, I'll be moving it to the downpipe so that I don't have to drill a hole in the mani or heatshield. I never use it anymore anyway, so if anything, it's just to have a matching and working gauge in the interior. Even in the downpipe, just look for consistent temps.

All I look at for gauges anymore are quick glances at boost or wideband. Even then, pulls happen too fast to get any real info, so I just do logs and study them afterwards.

GSTwithPSI

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll likely go that route you suggested, Mark. All things considered, drilling a hole in the manifold just isn't really worth it to me.

On an unrelated note, do you plan on running any type of heat shield when you swap to the FP manifold? This issue was mentioned in another thread recently, and I really hadn't really thought about it until then. I think people make a bigger deal out of not having a heat shield than it really is. I coated mine with VHT, and heat treated it with a few hot cold cycles. Beyond that, I doubt I'll do anything additional to it. Thoughts?

turbowop

Yeah, I picked up a stainless shield. I don't remember where I got it, but it looks nice. Wasn't cheap either. It's not a JMF. I wanna say some guy on tooners was making them.

I also think the blankets are ugly. I have thought about sandwiching one between my stainless shield and the manifold though for maximum heat shielding.

GSX_TC

There's always this one too, specific for the FP mani click

turbowop

That's the one I got. I forgot where I had purchased it from. I guess JNZ, lol.

*edit* Holy sh*t. $150 for the shield. I don't remember paying that much for it. Or maybe I did? Maigawd, I'm losing my marbles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

biglady112

I 100% believe in using EGT's for tuning. Most of the cars we play with are in the 800-1000hp range. It is an invaluable tool to ensure the life of our high strung four cylinders engines. I run four probes myself. VERY, very important data if you know how to use it. Running just one is not ideal and would be a misuse of the tool. That being said, 2-4" away from the head is what most people shoot for.

Last edited:

turbowop

I agree they're useful when making that kind of power, and at that point having one per cylinder is a good idea. But for those of us making half that power, they're not really required.

mitsuturbo

Quoting turbowop:
Personally, I think this day in age with the better tuning tools we have, the EGT isn't needed. My probe is mounted in the #1 runner, but when I swap to my FP manifold, I'll be moving it to the downpipe so that I don't have to drill a hole in the mani or heatshield. I never use it anymore anyway, so if anything, it's just to have a matching and working gauge in the interior. Even in the downpipe, just look for consistent temps.

All I look at for gauges anymore are quick glances at boost or wideband. Even then, pulls happen too fast to get any real info, so I just do logs and study them afterwards.

I did pretty much the same thing. Ran it on #1 for a long time (on the thickest part of the runner). I've since put it just past the o2 sensor because i didn't want to drill into the FP manifold. It's in place probably more for nostalgia/sentimental purposes than anything else. If i want to get rid of it, i can just weld the hole shut when i remove it. At least the peak feature is somewhat handy, although i'm not sure how much it's going to tell me that far from the exhaust port. It may indicate if timing got pulled or things got really hot, but it's not all that useful.

RayH

Back in the day some people were also mounting them in the turbine housing inlet.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts