The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

still got me home tonight!

Yao

This was the fuse I put on the fuel pump rewire, don't know what caused it, but I got home. Weird part is that when I turn the key to off, the car still runs, that's what got me to trouble shoot and found this.

prove_it

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Bet the wire was too small and got it hot. Either that or the pump pulled too much current and the fuse didn't pop. I have seen that happen.

Homemade rewire, or kit?

G

Staff member
Chinese inline fuse. Or you swapped a fuse in that is too high for that gauge of wire.

transparentdsm

good call, if it got you home the amps on the fuse must have been higher then recommended for it to melt the wire like that.

prove_it

Good time to ask, what is everyone using for Amp rating? I'm using a 15A and it seems fine.

Walbro 255HP

prove_it

I ran 12g since it what I had. It works.

transparentdsm

like i said im not sure i could have 12g, i bought a kit from MAP or one of those companies. so whatever is supposed to be in there.

Yao

Well, it's a home made kit, and I ran a super heavy duty relay with 12 gauge wire all the way until the fuel pump cover with 30amp, I didn't want to drill out the cover to run it all the way. I'll double check the ground, are you talking about the ground at the relay or the fuel pump assembly? It is a cheap china fuse, I've put in another inline fuse with 20amp that is a better one, so I am gonna drive on that and keep an eye on it. what would cause the pump to draw more amp? dirty fuel filter? low fuel?

Yao

by the way, why would the car still run with key shut off? Let's assume the wire is fused together and the pump gets power constantly. But shouldn't the ECU shut off injectors when the key is pulled? or cut the ignition when the key is pulled? I don't understand this part...

mitsuturbo

I had a buy bring me a GVR4 for diagnosis/repair once. Wouldn't start. Kept blowing fuses.

Fuel pump was rewired and the relay used had somehow shorted internally. Replaced relay, no more problem.

prove_it

I would never run a 30A. That's why it burned up. I would rewire the whole thing with a high quality relay. Make sure the grounds are clean and you scrape down to bare metal at the ground. Also you should pull the pump out and run new power and ground wires straight to the pump.

The key issue sounds like an ignition switch fault, or a turbo timer. Also check the MPI main relay make sure it's clicking like it should.

Yao

Okay, I'll try the suggestions, thanks!! Here is the weird part, when I turn the key off and pull the key out of ign., the radio went off, the ecu even clicked off too??!! I do have fuse at the MPI line and when checked, it was okay. I've replaced the fuse with better quality and 20amp, might reduce to 15amp and the car seems to shut off and start normally now.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts