The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3000 GT trailing arms: I'm slightly confused.

birdman24

Ok guys I'm planning on upgrading to coilovers over the winter and since I'm in there messing with stuff already I just want to do everything at once and be done. So this means I plan on accompanying the coilovers with 1G fwd knuckles to help with the front suspension geometry, adjustable upper control arms, also sub-frame bushings front and rear.

What I'm not entirely sure about yet are 3k GT trailing arms, I know that the rear braking set-up has the drum in hat which helps widen the rear track but do the arms themselves actually increase the track at all? Are they bigger than a Galants trailing arms? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

My only real goal here is to widen the rear track of my car, at some point years from now I'll probably use the 3k Gt rear brake set-up along with an Evo caliper more than likely but I'm not interested in doing that right now.

Yes, I know I could just run a spacer in the rear but I am not a fan of spacers. I cant explain why, I honestly just don't like them. Also my car is still 4 lug which I like, its something that sets the car apart from others these days.

Thanks,
Terence

tektic

Pretty sure you need the whole rear 3s subframe. You will use the 3S rear diff too. makes everything about 3" wider in the back

Edit: I have no idea...
just get wider rims.

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

Cheekychimp has did it.

birdman24

Liv4psi, I saw that Cheekychimp has done it and I dont know why just PM'ing him didnt cross my mind but he also used the entire rear trailing arm and rear brake set-up. If possible I would like to only use the trailing arms for now.

turbowop

Being 4-lug doesn't set the car apart from others. It just limits your wheel options.

I can understand not wanting to run spacers, but mine have held up great. If I could have found my wheels in a +35 offset, I wouldn't have needed them. Hell, I didn't need them with the +40's I got, but it looks better with the 5mm spacers.

birdman24

Mark,

I used the wrong terminology. I like the little things that you dont see on new cars now a days, 4ws, 4 lug. Although as of recently Acura has designed and is starting to use its own 4ws system.

Wanting to bring the rear out is really an aesthetics things, spacers just dont sit right with me.

cheekychimp

The trailing arms don't widen the track, the hubs with the drum brake are what provide that additional width. You can machine those to remain 4-lug but I see no benefit in doing that if you are willing to change wheels. I'd go 5-lug use the 3000GT twin pot rears and get corresponding 5 lug fronts.

Edit: Sorry, that's not technically correct, but it can still be done. I did this on the black car and kept that vehicle 4-lug as I had already purchased 4-lug aftermarket wheels.

What you do is use the 3000GT rear trailing arm and hub assembly. You then remove the 5-lug hub and replace it with the 4-lug hub. If I remember correctly that requires no machining. What you have to do then is either drill the original 5-lug rotor to fit the 4-lug or machine out a suitably sized 4-lug rotor to fit the drum brake.

That's my recollection but we did this ages ago. If something I have said is wrong or doesn't make sense, shout and I'll check.

Last edited:

birdman24

Thanks for the input Cheekychimp, I believe I fully understand this swap now.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts