The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#461... Soon to be a real car again (again)

slugsgomoo

So as many of you know, I've been JSB for a long time. Long enough in fact that I'm on the second motor since I took the car apart (without starting it... the first one I had has since gone 11.3 in an automatic 1g with an Evo3 on E85). I now have the motor that was originally in BrianAWD's gvr4 quite a while ago. In any case, I've had a shortage of both time and funding. Recently I've had an abundance of time and nearly everything I needed so I've been busting my ass for a couple weeks.

quick shot from my phone tonight

K5GJc3Bh.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsdunno.gif

Fingers crossed, I wanna go fast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noes.gif

Last edited:

transparentdsm

is that meth and nitro or just dual nitro?

your gonna rock a timing cover right?

motor looks great though. can wait to see what kinda numbers and times this does..

slugsgomoo

That's direct port nitrous, one set of the jets is for happy gas, and the other is for fuel, I'll feed that off the other side of the afpr. Right now though, I'm not worrying about plumbing/wiring that up. I just put it in the manifold because it was easier with the manifold off the car, and I guaranteed no crap fell into the cylinder head that way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I may grab a stock timing cover or a zaklee one at some point, I have to look in my parts bin and see if I even still have one. Honestly not my #1 concern right now, at least it's got a lower cover /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As for numbers or times, it'll be a little while, dyno time is expensive and the company I worked for shut down so I'm job hunting. As for the track, I still have a GVR4 first gear, so I don't really want to abuse it that much.

slugsgomoo

Don't be fooled, it's no 1051 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mork.gif

I have spent a lot of time re-wiring and re-looming at least to an extent. I would have liked to have pulled the entire harness, deleted unecessary stuff and done everything properly but I just can't wait any longer. It'll be a winter project when the car gets tucked away for a while. I also plan on doing the subframes/undercoating probably at the same time. I have a couple of the pieces in the rear done and it just exemplifies how much more the rest all need to be done.

That said I extended the injector wires so they could feed up from under the manifold, and chased all the tps/cas/coolant stuff & more back to where they break out of the main harness. Fixed any wires that had broken insulation and made sure everything was solid. Amazing how shitty some of the loom & wire is after 21 years.

All that said, I was hoping to have the car started today but I ran into a few roadblocks (some minor). Need some additional hose clamps for various hoses I simply forgot about. Need to rotate my spin on filter adapter so that the oil line doesn't hit the subframe connector (didn't know, haven't had that piece bolted up in years). Need to find the bolts for the little brace that goes over on the passenger side by the trans. But the biggest pain in the ass of today was finding that my filler hose has rotted so I need to order a new one tomorrow morning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Worst case scenario I'll improvise something tomorrow since I'd at least like to start the car asap, I'm starting to get frustrated.

GSX_TC

I like that wrinkle red.

jnava

Staff member
Slugs,
You're pretty much on the brink of finishing her up. Yesterday, I bolted the jdm bumper on and went to buy some premium. The view within the car and just looking back at it at a gas station was priceless. You are almost there, hell, make a video when it actually starts up. BTW, when I originally thought my startup was happening, I realized I had not tightened a few oil and water lines. Luckily I was just exactly checking to see if i had some major issues. Did some trouble shooting and she was on. When do you think you'll have it running?

Gizmovr4

Nice to see another vr4 come back to life!! Good luck with the startup !

James

Quoting slugsgomoo:

K5GJc3Bh.jpg

I feel as of the car may have slight overheating issues /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

slugsgomoo

I had to finagle some radiator hoses for it, the radiator doesn't exactly sit in the stock location, not to mention having the hose clear that big ass intake pipe was a pain right in my ass.

So the nice thing is that while I'm going to keep the stock hood, I do have a CF JDM hood as well, I'll have to install my aerocatches in either one regardless because I deleted the factory latch. Between my radiator, oil cooler & FMIC I couldn't figure out a way to fit a support and the factory latch absolutely doesn't work without one.

So, when I last drove it it had a kinetic 1g front mount, 3speed harness bar, 2.0 Wiseco/eagle 9:1 with 264/272, Evo3 16g. Back then it also had 850cc injectors and a keydiver with SAFC. Now it's slightly different. I sold off the long block, SAFC and Eprom ECU. Then the evo3, kinetic & injectors went onto my 1g (already had dsmlink). Gave away a walbro 255, the US bumpers, 92 headlights, and a ton of other parts I wasn't going to use.

New mod list since I took it apart:

8.8:1 Arias with big wrist pins
GRP Aluminum Rods w/ ARP 2000 hardware
HKS 272/272
1mm over SS valves w/ bronze guides
Manley Springs & Retainers
Kiggly Girdle
FelPro MLS
ARP L19 headstuds

T67 P-trim, T4 .84 divided
HKS T4 Manifold
TiAl 44mm v-band
4" Intake & K&N
Spearco 2-216
TiAL 50mm
Piping: 3" upper/2.5" lower
Magnus SMIM
NX Direct Port Nitrous kit
N/T throttlebody

11x11x2 Oil cooler
External 180* Thermostat
External Filter mount
-8 AN SS lines
Forward Facing filter housing

T/E/L Power Steering Rack
4WS Delete
ABS Delete
Whiteline Caster Bushings

AEM EMS
Aeromotive AFPR -8 AN
Aeromotive high flow inline filter
Delphi 1000cc Injectors
Supra in-tank (MKIV)
Walbro 392 (firewall mounted, basically inline 255HP)
Jayracing Alternator Relocation kit

PTT Twin Disc
2g Clutch Accumulator
new 2g hard lines
2g FWD big bore slave

93 Headlights
JDM Front & Rear bumpers
JDM CF hood
Aerocatch Hood latches

Stuff that I already had that's stayed with the car:

HKS EVC-EZ
Symborski Shift Bushings
5Zigen FN01R-C 17x8
Prothane Motor mounts
Sparco 5pt Camlock harnesses
3-speed harness bar (sort of, I had one, sold it to mark for 1051, and this is my second one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hay.gif )
T/E/L Shifter with DSG Type2 knob

Blah blah blah. Hopefully the car is fun, but that's yet to be seen.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

By the look of your cowl, it seems like the car has been sitting outdoors for a few months. I know it's been in your garage for a long while. Why haven't you cleaned that sh*t off?!

slugsgomoo

Not going to get new exterior pics until it's actually out of the garage. Here's one from Mt St Helens Run 2006.

MSHR2006.jpg

mitsuturbo: I know, I know I need to get to a bunch of more surface cleaning stuff like the outside in general and the cowls. I had it outside for a while while I worked on some other projects and it was really in the midst of major pollen season so it looks like hell.

slugsgomoo

Sure, otherwise I have to pull the one I have apart and I simply haven't had a chance to get nearly that far yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

362Ryan

I could have sworn I saw 461 on the street a month or so ago on stock wheels no less.

turbohf

motor looks better in GVR4 than on a pallet.

hope you get it on the road soon, with some dyno numbers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jnava

Staff member
Get it done. I purchased a battery and have been cruising the last few days. You're almost there.. Hell, in the last few days, three ownerd have finally fired up their cars.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts