The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

period correct aftermarket head units

turbowop

So I have a really nice high end Alpine CDA-7965 head unit in 1051. It's been in the car since I purchased the thing new at a stereo store in 2000. It requires an amp as it has no power of its own. I use the Ai-net input to power and run a MP3 player since it won't play burned CD's for sh*t. I also use an old school mid 90's Xtant 3300x and a set of old Soundstream Reference components that I've owned since '96. The mids even have cast magnesium baskets. All cool stuff. I'd like to add some decent speakers to the rear decklid and I could even deal with an 8" sub somewhere, all of which can be ran off the existing amplifier since it has something like five channels.

So here's the problem...I can't stand the blue lighting that the head unit puts out. And the face of the deck just doesn't look right in the car. I want something from the time period of our cars. Like an Alpine 7909, but those go for around $1000 now in decent shape. But they look perfect in the car and the lighting actually matches the instrument cluster (if using the green lights, I hate the amber anyway).

Anybody have an idea of what would fit the bill for this? And not cost some ridiculous amount? It'd be even sweeter if it had some type of aux input so that I'm not limited to my highschool CD collection. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

G

Staff member
98a2.jpg

maroonmetallic

Even though its not period correct, I have a 3 or 4 yr old BNID Pioneer CD player that matches the green fairly well.
I can get you the p/n if your interested. Obviously its not great quality but it did only cost around $100.

Just a thought..

-Shawn

Steve885

Wow just went on ebay to look at a 7909 there is a near mint one up to 1100...crazy ..I picked up a galant stock head unit with a aux port I was going to install..

curtis

I have a 3 disk alpine in the car now as it sits awaiting love ....kind of like this one click me

But when I put the car back together I have a new in the box TC-308 soundstream built by Nakamichi I scored at a yard sale. Has a green display but not much of a display since its a cassette deck. Yes still have a box full of them.
Even have the new in the plastic handle so I can pull it out and walk around the mall. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Same day got a old school 1st edition punch 150 with punch 250 guts, a small alpine amp and a set of the old metal sub grills.

blacksheep

Rockford fosgate made one that was period correct. Even changed illumination to amber and green. I believe my gvr4 has this headunit. I will snap a pic for you, Wop. The previous owner had it in a home made plexi face plate. I swapped to the dual din cubby thing, but am missing trim ring for the headunit. I called rockford, but its NLA like all the other sh*t on the car... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

G

Staff member
You want the 7909j, it's not a pull out and better performance/ specs. Also you can connect ipod through the cd changer input.

GSTwithPSI

Alpine CDA-7894

Has a Green or Amber display, internal amp that pushes 60 watts Peak per channel, all the inputs for hooking up an I-POD etc. I've had 2 of them over the years, one is still in my 1G right now. Bought it used 5 years ago and it still works great.

G

Staff member
That one was not sold in the early 90's.

turbowop

Curtis' post got me all nostalgic about those old in-dash 3-disk changers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif On a whim, I bought this last night. Looks to be in excellent shape, CD player and radio works. I'll just have to figure out something for an MP3 player. Maybe via antenna or something. It's the non-amplified version of what Curtis linked, which is similar to what I have now. Anyway, it looks the part. And unlike any version of the 7909, it doesn't cost a grand or more.

marvinmadman

Dont do any Antenna input crap. They sound like sh*t. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I just went through this on my 05 Galant

turbowop

Well I wanted something old, so I knew I might have to deal with a few hurdles regarding the aux input. Time to do some research. Maybe have to wire something into the unit itself.

JamesFoster

Quoting marvinmadman:
Dont do any Antenna input crap. They sound like sh*t. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I just went through this on my 05 Galant

Actually the antenna input works very good, IF and only if you use a wired fm modulator, such as this. click
The wireless ones are crap, but I've used ones like this before and they worked very well. The factory antenna plugs into the modulator, then it has an antenna output for the radio. I only know this because years ago I worked as an installer at a few different car stereo shops.

Last edited:

marvinmadman

I bought that same exact unit. Trust me When I say it sounded like sh*t

marvinmadman

I just burn RW cds again like way back in the day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Not that bad with a 6 disc indash player

marvinmadman

Best way to describe it is to go encode a WAV file into 96kbps mp3

donkeylips

Cheap new ones come with USB now (and aux). But I definitely find this interesting.

JamesFoster

Quoting marvinmadman:
I bought that same exact unit. Trust me When I say it sounded like sh*t

Interesting. I used an audiovox one in like 2003 and it worked awesome.

turbowop

Back in '94 when I worked at the local Ford dealership, a buddy's mom came in and bought a new Mustang. She had a CD changer installed that used one of those to work off the factory stereo. I don't remember it being horrible.

I just want something I can use to play MP3's, all while still having an old school headunit in a car I rarely drive or even listen to the stereo in. I'll give the antenna dealie a try. If it sucks, oh well. No big loss. I've spent $50 on stupider sh*t. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned