The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Where does one go to find a mint, high quality vr4 for sale?

Its always been a dream to own a vr4.the history, heritage, engineering involved make it a dream car to me.

Only problem is, if i spend the $15k i have saved up, i simply want the best. This car will be a daily driver, and i will drive it for as long as the wheels stay on. So, ideally, id like a vr4 with ridiculously low miles. Something that has been pampered (as 15 grand should buy)

Autotrader, dupont registry (lol) have all been dead ends. I k ow there are many on this sit for sale... But at 3-4 grand on average, im honestly not thinking these are the quality im looking for (no offense)

Is there a reputable place/auction where cars like the vr4 are sold?

Thanks for indulging a complete noob such as myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Captn

Make someone an offer for theirs?

There are a good amount of members here with near mint cars... who knows they might sell for 15k.

Last edited:

ShaggyTE

Driving it as a daily doesn't seem to line up with the car you're looking for. IMO you are better off buying one around 10k or so, whatever comes up for sale that interests you, and using the rest towards a daily. That way the galant stays in good shape. I don't know the details of your situation though

Jesus_Negros

I'd spend half that for a really nice gvr4, not many of them are worth 15k IMO. Some are though. Also, I wouldnt spend all on one for the simple fact is these cars are over 20yrs old and something WILL break or go wrong. You want to drive till the wheeels fall off well be prepared something will go wrong. Not saying these cars cant be reliable but because of their capabilities, age, and community most have mods and have been tinkered with and the 4g63t is an engine that needs constant maintance. If I was you I would look for a good 6-8k car and use the rest for emergency funds. Some of these cars in the FS section are def DD worthy.

Excuse my grammar, I just woke up.

gvr4ever

I think you might be better off spending 8K on a good example GVR4 and 6K on a toyota/honda/subie daily driver.

Even a great Galant VR4 is now old enough to drink.

Last edited:

boostx

I know where one is for half that price.

transparentdsm

even for 15k your gonna have to do work. james foster spent something in that range and the motor blew. motor had like no miles on it. its just something that happens from time to time. rdomeck has a gorgeous one for sale, click $8000, but there are no guarantee that something isn't going to go wrong and i don't think its possible to get a warranty on a car this old from a company. this is probably going to sound rude, but do your self a favor, go buy an evo, get a warranty and dont upgrade it.

4G63_GSR

I agree with everything transparentdsm said.

This day an age it's almost not worth it with what is newer and better. If you already have one. Great. If you want to buy and dump tons of money into it, be realistic to yourself. I've seen many I want to build it to 500 hp threads and then 2 months later it's for sale. The average Joe under estimate the work and maintenence these cars needs or over estitmate their mechanic skills and or wallet.

If you're looking to spend upwards 10-15k already put up a little bit more and get an EVO or something. You'll probably be a lot happier at the end of the day.

transparentdsm

^ this is kind of what i was meaning. i have close to 9,000$ into my vr4, that includes the cars cost, but i have also spent the last year and a half and somewhere around 200 hrs building and rebuilding this car to make it run right. im a mechanic and have been working on cars since i was 13. my father owns a car dealership and i get great deals on parts and other cars that i use for daily driving. its hard to own one of these cars if you don't know anything about these motors. if you want something that you can hope in every day turn the key and go, these aren't the cars for you. you can buy one that will do that for a while, but without really staying on top of everything and constantly checking things over it will be in the shop a lot and it will get costly fast because parts are getting harder and harder to come buy. then you will be selling a car that you have a lot of love for and a lot of money into, for no where near what you have into it. as mentioned above with the 500hp build threads. they buy them for a good price dump a bunch of money into it then blow something up and then give up on the car and sell it for a lot less then they have into it. we have all seen this happen on more then a handful of occasions.

i will even give you an example. 2004 someone had bought a 91 tsi awd for 3000$, dumped about 3500$ into parts. got the car home from the shop drove it for about 1000 miles and loved the car. he is driving one day and all the sudden the car starts bucking and jumping and all kinds of other things, or at least this is what i was told. he had it towed to the shop that did the work and they called him back told him that the motor was blown and it was gonna cost 3000$ for another motor. at this point kid is done and puts and ad on craigslist for his car what he has done to it and everything that has happened. i see the ad call him and go look at the car. he said he wanted half of what he had into, i told him i dont want to pay that much for a blown up car that i cant test the trans in or anything. i offered him 2000$ cash, i showed him the money and i had the trailer with me. he took the offer. i load it on the trailer, get home, roll it off open the hood to inspect and see whats going on. well there were a bunch of vacuum lines not connected, the FPR wasn't torqued down when installed i guess because there was only one bolt holding it on and it was half off and the o-ring was just spitting fuel, timing was off because the CAS wasn't bolted down right and a few other things were just not done right. i clean it up, put it back together and i have a great car for next to nothing.

G

Staff member
This ^.

4G63_GSR

True. But I bet he's on evolutinm now.

CutlassJim

Where does one go to find a mint, high quality vr4 for sale?

1992?

curtis

Double that 15K and you can have mine all the parts and the other bastard VR4 outside I'm starting to whore out. Don't laugh bitches 5 transmissions, 3 transfer cases, 2 or 3 engines can't remember, 2 or 3 rear ends, a fuel system that can support over 1200 hp, 4 sets of wheels, big brakes times 3, cusco cage, all the poly bushings, big sway bars, 4 or 5 sets of 93 lights I need to get cleaned up, jdm this or that, a VGT turbo that weights 65 lbs and a clutch driven blower thats going to push it (uppppps no one knows about that), edm/aussy tail lights, JDM bumper, lights, bling and more damn gauges than you can put in a 5 gallon bucket..........sh*t I even have 2 sets of amg sides.....bullshit copies but they smooth damn they smooth. Da Da approved click me

Hell I actually might be able to finally walk in my shop. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

add another 5K and you can have Paul's sh*t too and I'll build a MF copper pot and go into the processed corn bisinesseseses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

cheekychimp

^^^ Not funny! How much closer are you to straightening everything out?

I land in Denver on the 2nd September, I'll be calling you from Nashville by the 3rd and we'll be working 4 days straight sorting it out. I am not joking!!!

Gabor

Many years ago you couldn't find a perfect one for $20k
Now you can't find one for $15k.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

etownpips

I don't believe there are many wanting to give up the nice Vr-4s. I know I don't want to give mine up! The key to reliability is to have the car as close as possible. Even if you find a car with "low miles", that doesn always mean the car has low miles. The tachs can be swapped out easily. Mine has over 200k and with the new engne, parts, hoses ect my car runs great! I try to put as many miles on my car as possible. I have a balanced 1g/2g hybrid engine with fmic, bg 16g, fuel pump, cams, and exhaust. I've probably spent close to 8-9k$ trying to keep the car in an enjoyable condition. At Times I just think I want to get out the car but at the end of the day I know how much time and money was put into my car to get it this far. After trying to keep up with everything for so long eventually the issues will just amount to small things like your a plug in your harness accidently came unplugged. These cars will always be throwing curve balls at you. Every time something happened it was something different every time untill you've eventually replaced everything under the hood. I wouldn't call my car mint and I wouldn't take a penny less than 8 grand. Thing is people that spend a lot on an old car like this plan to keep them.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts