The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

474/1000 back to the track 5/2/13 (need 2-step advice)

matt92vr4

Hey guys, I'm going to hit the track again this Thursday night as long as it doesn't rain. Since the last outing I increased the boost from 15 to 20 and turned on the 2-step. I'm a bit ashamed to admit this but I've never used a 2-step on a lower HP car before, only 9 and 10 second cars, so I'm looking for tips! Small 16g, full weight car, stock (or worse) clutch. 2-step is set for 5000rpm, I have not yet observed how much boost it's building. Last trip at 15psi the car went 13.4@101 with a 1.8 60'. I'd really like to see a 12 this time. I'll probably increase the boost a little more by then too.

So, I'm all ears on technique! Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5OF2k

2 step alone should build boost to at least 10lbs on a s16g. You dont need antilag at all, because as soon as you're under load it will spool to full boost. It's a puny turbo man, really.

Honestly, i'd lower it to 4500 or so for starters, and go from there. Be sure to preload, and good luck!

-Jake

MellowVR4

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifIm gona sound like an idiot, but what is preload exactly?

thecman02

Preload- Pulling the ebrake up, and then letting the clutch out until it is engaged and is trying to move the car. This takes out all the slop in the gear mesh. When you launch you let out on the clutch as you release the brake.

5OF2k

Preloading envolves holding the e-brake, and "loading" the drivetrain by letting the clutch out slightly so the car squats. Doing this does a few things.

First, it "preloads" the drivetrain so there is less shock on it when the clutch comes all the way out. This helps to avoid drivetrain shock and all but eliminates the possibility of broken axles and so-on(within reason of course. Allthough, there are 600hp+ cars running around on stock 4 bolt axles that are relatively without issue when preloading, FWIW).

Second, it "preloads" and compresses the suspension. This helps cut back on wheel hop and tire slip when done properly, because it's basically forcing the tires to the pavement off the bat, rather than suddenly and voilently. That will greatly help the car get out of the hole.

Theres more to it than that, and it takes a bit of practice to get down perfect, but it's well worth it!

-Jake

MellowVR4

Thanks for that info fellas. I never launched that way before, will make sure i do next time im at the track.

BpuVR4

just curious, is the ebrake alone holding the car still?

matt92vr4

OK, so I'm only producing 6psi with the 2-step at 5000rpm. I don't have the ECMLink hooked up yet so it's chipped at 5000. I wonder why I'm only building 6psi? boost leaks, timing? I've been dumb and lazy and have not checked my base timing nor performed a boost leak test...even though I know better.

+1 on the preload.

matt92vr4

Ack, it's been raining for a day. Not looking good.

thecman02

Way back in the day when I only had two step and a evo316g I remember being able to make at least low double digit boost at 5k. Definitely want to make sure you have no boost leaks.

The ebrake is keeping the car from moving. You are slipping the clutch at the point when your loading the car down. It is a process that I feel definitely takes some practice to do smoothly.

matt92vr4

Ack, rod knock. Time to yank the motor out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

matt92vr4

Did you ever just have a feeling that something wasn't right? I've had that feeling towards the Galant for the past week. Every once in a while I thought I heard what sounded like lifter tick while driving and it also seemed to lose some power. I changed the oil and did a compression test. Everything looked fine. I could not duplicate the sound in the driveway and I chalked the loss of power up to the temperature change last week.

Last night it only took one run to make it clear. 3rd and 4th gear were sluggish as hell resulting in a 14.3@94. After the traps the engine stalled, which never happens on this car. Popped the clutch and as soon as the wind noise died down a little I could hear it knocking all over the place. Oh well, I was hoping not to do this for again for a while but I guess it's time. I gotta sit back for a few days and figure out which path to take.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts