The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stock radio

G

Staff member
Does anyone know if the stock radio with the cd/ aux input on the front needs the amp in the trunk to work?

PreskitVR4

I know I'm the guy trying to sell it, but 501 never had anything in the trunk besides the yaw sensor for the abs.

G

Staff member
My issue is I have the amp in the trunk.

maroonmetallic

I feel like such a newb for not knowing about an amp in the trunk.
But I do know I used the factory CD player in: 92 Galant LS, 93 Galant LS & 92 GSR.
I didn't touch any kind of amp in any of those cars.

And Id like to say the 92 LS didn't have one.

-Shawn

G

Staff member
This is the one I would like to purchase:

146112000.jpg

146111000.jpg

The seller states his car did not have an amp, but my stock stereo setup does. I have the one with the cd player instead of eq.

maroonmetallic

Unfortunately I have only gone from that radio to the CD player one, not the other way around.

-Shawn

G

Staff member
Does anyone know what the 6 pin plug on the right is for? Is that the amp?

JNR

While I have that same oem stereo, it was never hooked up when I bought the car (aftermarket system), so couldn't say if or what the factory amp setup is/was, but being you have the CD setup, have you looked at the back or what harnesses are there on yours? I would *think* any of the VR-4's have pretty much the same wiring regardless of what stereo they came with, but could be mistaken.

Are you looking to stay all oem, or have you thought about running an aftermarket amp with a converter (to run RCA's off speaker outputs)? The biggest challenge to that though is if you don't have one of those auto on amps (that come on with either the hi or low input signal) then finding a 12V remote source can be challenging. Least that's how it was in my last jeep WK, as it was all 6V signals...Ended up just making a switch to do it manually. Running an older punch 150 that required a remote.

But wait a second, these had power antennas, so that probably wouldn't be hard them to just tap off that line.

bobdole

How many different stock head unit's where there. I remember my first vr4 had CD player w/EQ and amp in the trunk.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
the 91 stock head unit requires the amp in the trunk or you have no speakers. I once tried to get mine working, but gave up as three amps I acquired were all water damaged and did not work in at least one channel. I put in a radio from a 99 Galant and it works without the amp.

The radio you show should work without the amp. I think the 91 setup uses a DIN cable for the amp (not 100% positive on that anymore though...).

G

Staff member
My vr4 is a 92' with the stock cd player.

prove_it

I had that factory head unit and there is no amp in the trunk for it. Mine being a 92 stock car.

gvr4ever

My 92 came with a tape deck only. No EQ, CD input, no amp in the trunk.

I think it would be worth the effort to just get new gear at this point. It isn't that hard to install and you can choose exactly what you get instead of relying on old gear that can break at any time.

PJGross

Where is the amp in the trunk?
My '92 had the double din CD player. When I got it in '98, it had AGXs and HRs and the CD player skipped quite a bit, so I put in a Kenwood about 15 years ago. I still have the stock combo, but I never looked in the trunk for an amp? Glad I kept it, I guess, some new owner could put back to stock. Still have stock struts, too. Never got around to pitching them.

Hopefully I can resurrect #490 from its 13 yr hibernation over the winter. Seeing those new calipers in the other post reminded me that I have new rear calipers just sitting waiting to go in as well.

-PJ

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
92s have the amp built in the radio. Only 91 has the separate amp. Same on 1gs.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts