The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

"Project Dustbuster" Build Thread 1990 Galant GSX Auto 4g63 Swap PTE6266

rexwagon1909

I have been putting this off for a while but I decided to take the time to do a build thread on my 1990 Galant GSX 4g63t. First things first I will state that when I bought the car over a year a go, I was a DSM noob. I had just came from the Subaru community, and want a DSM since alot of my friends around here were having such crazy success with their cars at the track. We have a really awesome DSM community here in WV/KY and its growing (as of right now in our group of guys there are 8 cars that make at least 500whp some of those over 700whp). Needless to say I wanted to build a DD style car making around 350-400 whp but shortly those numbers would sky rocket thanks in part to those guys and my first DSM shoot out.

Build:
Built 4g63 balanced bored .020 over
10:5 Weisco HD Pistons
Manley Rods
Replacement Stock Crank knife edged since stock crank was shot
280 BC Cams
Q45 TB
H11 Headstuds
ARP Mains/ most bolts replaced with ARPs
BC Springs
AEM Cam Gears
AEM Meth Injection
Magnus Intake Manifold
ACL Bearings
BLE Tensioner
FIC Fuel Rail
Kiggly HLA
Head completely rebuilt SS valves +1mm
5 angle valve job
PTE 6266 CEA Turbo
Custom DMF Exhaust Manifold
Tial V44 Wastegate
Tial BOV
DSM Link V3
1600cc injectors
Custom fuel setup
Fuel Lab FPR and Filter
Aeromotive 700 EFI Fuel Pump
JMF Catch Can Setup
JAZ Fuel Cell in trunk
AFCO Radiator/ with fan
Custom DMF FMIC Setup, motor mounts, tune
Custom 3 inch exhaust
Jay Racing Alt Relocation kit with Saturn Alternator

Transmission:
2G Auto Swap 4500 Stall ITP
ITP Valvebody
ITP End Clutches
Kiggly Front Clutches
Custom Trans and Oil Cooler

Suspension:
BC Coil Overs
All bushings on vehicle replaced
All new Ball joints, tie rods

Brakes:
Reused 1g 2piston Calipers
All new Drilled Rotors, Pads
Goodridge SS Brake Hoses

Interior:

Carpet Completely Cleaned (took two trips to car wash and finally got 20 plus years of dirt out)
Custom LED lighting (I hate Halogen light bulbs all were replaced)
Full Prosport gauge assortment, AEM UEGO

Exterior:

91 VR4 Tail Lights
93 Headlights Already on car

VR4 front bumper (already on car)
Wingless Trunk (already on car)

Last edited:

Fiascoxl

I don't need pics... I know how nice it looks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Looking forward to seeing it run, hopefully at the shootout this year!

GSX_TC

There's Josh's car, I was wondering who bought it.

rexwagon1909

With Old Brakes back on:

Later with new rotors and goodridge SS lines

Had to use new hardline to allow the lines to get full movement in steering

Last edited:

rexwagon1909

Rear End was completely stripped cleaned primed and painted along with all other rear end hardware
All ball joints and all new poly bushings installed

rexwagon1909

Removed Rear Gas Tank (Switching to Fuel Cell and custom lines) Didn't want to hack up a really nice sending unit and tank so they were sold to good members on here. Cleaned and prepped everything for truck bed coating

IncorpoRatedX

daaaaaaaamn! that's unlucky. I drove that thing everywhere, i'm lucky it didn't leave me stranded somewhere! I had a spare short block in my garage that I kept around just in case something happened between my two Galants. Had I know that issue would arise I would have just swapped it out, instead I wound up putting the spare engine into my wagon.

Build looks great so far, the previous owner was out of Iowa and lived on a dirt road, that might explain the dirt/dust/rocks, previous to him the owner was from colorado, could further explain the dirt and rocks as I don't think they use salt in CO, just dirt.

quato

Quoting rexwagon1909:

Is that the hood that was on the car when you bought it? I have that exact hood on my GVR4 and am wondering if your car is where the hood came from. No I am not a fan but I don't have the time to fix it...maybe soon =/

IncorpoRatedX

That's the hood on your car.

Your car once belonged to my room mate, the hood on his kensington grey one was dented up and after I found a stock hood at the junk yard, had it repainted and swapped it out, that hood was in our garage, rather than dealing with a dented up hood he swapped that one on.

No one is a fan of that hood, I wasn't, my room mate isn't, the guy that bought the car from him didn't like it and now you don't like it. Even the guy that did it in iowa said 'yeah it was a stupid idea' when I first asked him about it. Hopefully someone eventually sends that hood to the scrapper!

IncorpoRatedX

Look familiar? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

61207_10150262647690508_47049_n.jpg

quato

Haha, that's funny. I plan on cutting it out and doing a GT500 as has been done on here before. I figure that I won't lose sleep if I screw it up or if I don't like it. It can't get much worse than it is!

I actually have most of those pics saved that have been posted on the forum. I even saw the "build thread" where the fuel cell was being put in. 32/1000 has been around the block a bit it seems!

G

Staff member
That uni body looks pretty clean, definitely looks like it was from CO.

rexwagon1909

After engine was pulled I started on engine bay and front end rebuild

Cross Members removed

Front A Arms removed

Underneath the front subframe lots of dirt oil etc

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts