The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Starion SHP wheels

GSTwithPSI

I was looking around at wheels, and was wondering if anyone has ever had a set of the Starion SHP wheels on their VR4? I know it's a staggered setup, and staggered setups aren't recommended or widely utilized because of the awd drivetrain, but I think the wheels themselves would give the VR4 a nice look.

I was suprised to find that a nice set sell for around $600-$800 bucks. Is the demand really that high for a good set of these?

86-vision.jpg

Wizardawd

As long as the diameter of the wheel/tire combo is either the same or within a certain percent of the front/rear size...your car could give a sh*t less about them being staggered. Getting them to fit and look good is another story. I was always a fan of those wheels too. But, I don't think they would look the best on a GVR. Maybe painted a different color. Maybe. The Evo 8 Enkeis look fabulous, you can get those cheaper. Not staggered, but look great.

Wiz

GSTwithPSI

I actually have Evo 8 Enkei wheels on the car now. Im working on getting a 5mm spacer to bring the stance in the rear flush with the front. The rears sit in noticeably further than the fronts.

CutlassJim

My friend has a nice Conquest and has two sets of the SHP and two sets of the regular rims. They are like a 0 or negative offset depending on the rim. Have 3" fender flares kicking around?

Defiant

The wheels on that starquest are photoshopped. The factory wheels arent that big.

Ivd had about 5 of them.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting CutlassJim:
My friend has a nice Conquest and has two sets of the SHP and two sets of the regular rims. They are like a 0 or negative offset depending on the rim. Have 3" fender flares kicking around?

Good point. I was looking around for the actual offset, and couldn't find anything really definitive.

GSX_TC

I agree, those rims look like they've been photoshopped to look like 18's.

fuel

Quoting Defiant:
Standard wheels are16x8's with a -10 offset.

SHP wheels are 16x9's with a 0 offset.

There are five different width and offset variations of Starquest wheels.

Standard US spec non-SHP rims are 16x7 +18 front and 16x8 -10 rear (the rear have the most dish out of the lot)
SHP rims are 16x8 +18 front and 16x9 0 offset in the rear
Jap-spec Starion rims are 16x7 +18 front and 16x8 0 offset in the rear (something to do with the Japanese not a fan of wheels sticking out towards the guards)

I think you could get away with fitting a set of four SHP front 16x8 +18 rims but they don't have the most amount of dish or nicely angled spokes as the rear 16x8s or 16x9s do.

Here's a pic of the Starquest rims I have, a set of SHPs and a pair of non-SHP rear 16x8 -10s:

IMAG0108.jpg

SHP rears on top row, SHP fronts on the outside of the bottom row and non-SHP rears in the middle.

fuel

another point worth mentioning is that you will probably require additional spacers up the front to clear the brake calipers. The spokes on the Starquest rims are close to the hub mounting face because the brake calipers sit further inboard on the Starquest with a relatively tall disc rotor hat height compared to the VR-4/Evo.

CutlassJim

I'm so used to dealing with the IS in terms of fitment I completely forgot to mention they were staggered from the factory and was only thinking of the rear rims.

raptorWagon

Yes the demand is pretty high among the Starion community as well as with 240s and older RWD for SHP wheels as well as regular Widebody Starion wheels.

Jesus_Negros

Nobody want flatty wheels? lol

I have a lot of SHP and non-SHP wheels. A good redone set of SHP wheels can go for $800usd nowadays but typically $450-600ish. I'll be picking up a decent set of SHP wheels this weekend for $300 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

G

Staff member

fuel

Quoting Turbro_Negro:
Nobody want flatty wheels? lol

I have a lot of SHP and non-SHP wheels. A good redone set of SHP wheels can go for $800usd nowadays but typically $450-600ish. I'll be picking up a decent set of SHP wheels this weekend for $300 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I paid $600 for my polished SHPs + shipping on top.

I don't think anyone would want the 15x6.5 flatbody rims let alone the 14x5.5 flatbody rims either! I have a set of the 15x6.5 flatbody rims in 5-lug too.

Pushinink

sorry to revive an old thread, but has anyone put starion wheels on their vr4? Im curious to see how it looks with staggered wheels

fuel

you'll need spacers at the least to clear the brakes. They have an already aggressive offset so combining with spacers will push the wheels out quite far.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts