The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How many miles on your GVR-4?

boostin4door

Just wondering....
how many miles do you guys have on your cars?
[Please no roll back clocks LOL]
And on average, how many miles a year do you drive your VR-4?

Mine: -I'm the 3rd owner-
-Purchased 12/01 from Tenn., [basically daily driven from March-Nov each year, no Chitown salt or snow for her]-
-Miles when I bought it; 98,000-
-Current Miles; 188,880-
-Put 90,880 on #870-

turbowop

Miles when purchased in 1998: 70k

Miles now: 140k

I daily drove the car for about three years before I bought a dedicated daily. Now I put about 1500 miles on it per year.

turbohf

bought mine last year (total of 12months or so) with like 103k...put little over 10k on it so far i think.

fuel

bought with 186,000kms (116k miles) and now has about 203,000kms (126k miles) 4 years later. I was daily driving it for about 6 months at one stage, now it's lucky to do 1000kms a year.

James

Almost 200k!

theevozero

284K. Original motor, daily duty. Runs strong. If you believe the 4g63 is junk or unreliable, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

LIV4PSI

I am at least the 7th owner with approx 180,000 miles on the clock. Runs great on the original motor, currently JSB due to a rusty brake line

ktmrider

Quoting TheEvoZero:
If you believe the 4g63 is junk or unreliable, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

+1 million.

86/2000 had 137k at purchase, 149k when sold three years later. 464/1000 had 192k at purchase, has 198k now.

Both modded, both reliable short of a big-box alternator purchased in a roadside emergency. Both driven "aggressively" from day one.

LIV4PSI

Its the rest of these cars that are unreliable, mainly the drivetrain.

JackstandTSi

2nd owner of #650 has 94k when bought 6months ago and now currently has....94k on it..previous owner snapped a timing belt and then sat for 4years with the cylinder head in the back seat...now it sits in my mothers driveway.

ktmrider

Quoting LIV4PSI:
Its the rest of these cars that are unreliable, mainly the drivetrain.

Disagree, it's the OWNERS that make them unreliable.

Armitage

Bought it with 113k miles. Currently 226k miles and going strong. I'd have a lot more but my commute is only 3 miles :p

5OF2k

Bought with 160-ish, now at about 175/8-ish(cant remember).

Not certain what the engine is at, guarantee its been gone through though(no BS/etc).

I DD the car, roughly ~60 miles/day. Average 230/tank, dyno'd at 355AWHP uncorrected on 91 pumpgas and 5700ft elevation e316g @27lbs.

Cars arent unreliable, the owners are. Other than an alternator problem, and the 22+yr old lower radiator tank cracking on me its been very reliable and never left me stranded. (Knock on wood)

-Jake

JNR

123k on chassis and about 20k on the engine, turbo (although 0 miles now on the rebuild I did & balance), trans and T/C, etc...Sounds like a lot of miles, but remembering these cars are over 20 years old now (wow), it's pretty low I suppose.

theevozero

Disagree, it's the OWNERS that make them unreliable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

turbofonz

176k on it now, I personally put 40k on the car. Original bottom end, never left me stranded.

My talon I put ~60k on it, it's at 166k right now, also original bottom end and it's a 10 sec car.

Both get beat on pretty well. I will admit though, I've broken a few parts on the talon lol, but nothing "maintence" wise, more so "race car troubles"

LIV4PSI

In the 4-6 months I have been daily driving my VR4, the following has failed
-power steering pump
-power steering rack
-alternator
-ebrake cable snapped
-metal brake line
-carrier bearings in driveshaft
-transfer case started leaking
-oil pan started leaking

It has never been launched and doesn't even see boost. I would love for someone to explain how any of those are due to me being a bad owner? I properly fix all the issues as they occur, but that doesn't stop new things from breaking.

For every story like KTMs, there are five more like mine.

Last edited:

turbofonz

He only put 20k combined on his cars anyways, which isn't a real lot IMO.

JNR

These cars are 20 years old, so some components' replacement is to be expected; to what extent depends on the history of the vehicle and owner(s) are responsible for maintenance and how they treat the machine. Overall though, these vehicles were built well and last a long time under the right conditions.

theevozero

Well, some of that could just be due to age and mileage, driving conditions, etc.....But the worst thing you could do is assume your newly purchased Galant was maintained properly. If I buy a car, I NEVER trust the retard that owned it prior. That's all they can be until proven otherwise, retarded.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts