The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Keeping Up With Liter Bikes?

BpuVR4

wondering how many guys' VR4's here are built enough to keep up or beat liter bikes? I imagine that'd be my way long term end goal, and wondering generally the minimum it'll take to get there.

3rdstrikedsm

Unless you have an built automatic or a dog box forget it because staying in big boost that long at that kind of hp level is almost for sure going to take out the trans!

Gvr4 has no place trying to beat a liter bike,600's are easy work but liter is big boy area /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Last edited:

BpuVR4

figures the first two guys to answer this own Supras, the perfect liter bike eater /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JNR

Most riders can't drive their bikes near their potential, so I'd say realistically on the street launching at 4500 rpm I don't see many bikes keeping up until after 60...In the canyons, cars > bikes in handling around the curves, so potentially if you're stupid enough, you could out-do them there too...On the highway though, it'd be tough in one of these little 4-banger cars that are shaped like a brick and geared so low...I've seen a few 600+ hp cars that do well on the highway working bikes and once they get toward top speeds, the bikes just don't hang.

ktmrider

Quoting MoMoVR4:
figures the first two guys to answer this own Supras, the perfect liter bike eater /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rider and situation/conditions. Old joke, what's the difference between an 800whp and 400whp Supra? Nothing, they both do 12's in the 1/4 mile.

What constitutes "beating"? The Supra guys will always ask for a roll-on. Willing to go faster than 100mph on a public roadway doesn't make you faster than the next guy. I rolled 4x lengths on a Honda merging to the interstate one late evening. Shut down at 90mph, he pulls the Ricer Flyby and flings L's like he's the king of the streets.

Local DSM buddy ( modded Laser ) took out a fellow co-worker in his tweaked C6 from a dig/stop. Vette spun wheels for 3 gears while the Laser bit, got a 1/2 length lead and held it til the next light.

Sooo, what is your definition of beating?

onesickcrx

Good rider on a 1000 isn't getting touched till 600+ hp with a well prep'd car and a bad rider. I've seen light weight riders go 9.40's on stock 1000's just lowered, I've also seen guys go low 12's lol

I did a pull with my old car against ok riders on a 600 and a 750 ran away from the 600 and pulled right past the 750 by the top of second gear we started from like a 20 mph roll on. So Id agree 600's and 750's can be taken out pretty easy with ok riders, a really good rider on a 600 or a 750 can blow your mind at how fast they can be.

I can recall doing a wheelie past a 11.2 sec Evo from the dig, I left the front wheel in air threw 4th gear and was pulling bus lengths on the Evo in the air on a pretty much stock 1000. Couple weeks later he called me out on a 600, so I gave it to him on a pink 600 two times back to back. I am by no means light thats my point /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Barnes

Quoting MoMoVR4:
wondering how many guys' VR4's here are built enough to keep up or beat liter bikes? I imagine that'd be my way long term end goal, and wondering generally the minimum it'll take to get there.

Are you using liter bikes as a yardstick to compare to for the performance level you want? Or are you literally interested in beating liter bikes in races?

alansupra94

Quoting ktmrider:
Quoting MoMoVR4:

Rider and situation/conditions. Old joke, what's the difference between an 800whp and 400whp Supra? Nothing, they both do 12's in the 1/4 mile.

What constitutes "beating"? The Supra guys will always ask for a roll-on. Willing to go faster than 100mph on a public roadway doesn't make you faster than the next guy. I rolled 4x lengths on a Honda merging to the interstate one late evening. Shut down at 90mph, he pulls the Ricer Flyby and flings L's like he's the king of the streets.

Local DSM buddy ( modded Laser ) took out a fellow co-worker in his tweaked C6 from a dig/stop. Vette spun wheels for 3 gears while the Laser bit, got a 1/2 length lead and held it til the next light.

Sooo, what is your definition of beating?

Just like a liter bike, if you know how to launch a supra using a 2-step, you won't have a problem.

slugsgomoo

modern literbike is ~425lb with a full tank and ~175-200hp depending. Add in a 175lb rider and you have a 3.0-3.4lb per horsepower (admittedly with shitty aero). Modern literbikes are doing sub 18 second 0-186mph runs and unless they suck at riding very little will touch them.

To give you an idea, a 3200lb galant (with driver and fuel, obviously some weight reduction there) only needs to make 1,067hp to have the same power to weight as a BMW S1000RR with a tune & exhaust.

That said, above 600hp you should be able to walk some of them based on driver skill/bravery alone. Bikes have their biggest advantage from 0-110 (or 0-85 on a 600cc) due to power & aerodynamics (which are absolute shite on a bike compared to the flying brick of a galant.

I think the hayabusa has a .57 whereas a 1g is a .29, most literbikes are a .6+

moving through the air is the enemy of the motorcycle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

5889304864_a9160f317f_b.jpg

curtis

Well I don't own a supra but have wrenched on those, vette's, camaro's, mustang's, GN's, Sy Ty's, gt-40's and cobra's and not the Mustangs cobras but real deal ones. Out of all the cars I've wrenched on and owned only a few can do this type of work. It all comes down to HP to weight ratio.

The last car I built does it and on low boost (15) spinning if we get it to hook now on the big tires will destroy one but hard to make it hook. Its around 2300 with the driver and a full tank of gas and is around 600 right now. Turned up I think will do above 800. He ran one back in the summer with sprockets, programmer exhaust and was right with it spinning . Rider was in shock. Here's what it looks like from in car just making a pull, the bike video isn't on you tube but on my buddies camcorder maybe I can get him to load it up soon.

Highway pull
Mustang he's running went 6.42 at 107 in the 1/8th the next night on spray with a 347. You can here the HKS screaming when he lifts trying to pedal it to get it to hook. 4th dead hooked. That was the old turbo set-up at the 540hp range and his mile per hour at the track was in the 135 range spinning. I went out in it a few weeks ago and it overboosted and I saw 24psi flash up before the over boost shut us down while we tried to program some stuff, crap it pulls like crazy above 21 psi. Car probably is a 10.0 car right now and turned up will be low low 9's if it hooks at probably 150mph range. New tires hooks top of 2nd and all of 3rd and is a totally different animal that before.
click me

The guys that say they can beat a liter bike either have what it takes, are full of sh*t, or the rider is a newbie and scared of it.. Liter bikes beaters are usually 9.50 or faster, have the suspension to dead hook on the street and have some long ass legs...because the double RR's and Busa's simply get down. I did the math with the VR4s weight vs my buddies honda and for me to keep up with him I need like 840 hp and thats with him on low boost so I know I don't have nothing for either one. Best advice if you want to built to the level, make it light. Being light is not as hard on the driveline and easier to go hella fast.

thecman02

My buddy John can beat up non drag prepped bikes all day. He's right around 600-700whp. Runs around 9.7 @140. Skill and prep makes a huge difference on bikes and it also depends on the environment your racing. On any given run at the track I can run around 10.7ish on my bike at around 130 on a 600RR. I've also ran as bad as 11.7 @ 122. A nice 80lb/min turbo, big intercooler, meth or eth setup and a beasty trans with a great tune will have you beating up on guys.

3rdstrikedsm

I once raced my supra vs my 08 busa with minor mods and a friend driving the busa which I went 9.7 on that bike and 10.8 in the supra and I was able to stop his momentum up top but down low he was pulling away from my 600 whp and for reference the momentum stopped at about 170- 180ish and we went to about 200.

dsmless

I used to own a xz6r which is a 600 cc and my best time was 11.4 at 118 mph, on the highway I would beat my coworker newer corvette (zo6 I think) until about 130 then Id lift off, at the track nobody ran against me as it was all old skool muscle car drag guys so really cant coment on that

BpuVR4

Quoting Barnes:
Are you using liter bikes as a yardstick to compare to for the performance level you want? Or are you literally interested in beating liter bikes in races?

just as a yardstick/goal to shoot for. my days of any racing on the street have been long gone and will remain that way except for some spirited pulls. Older age opens the eyes to more possible needless accidents. I may indeed start taking her to the strip once everything is settled though. I've always considered the cars that leave bikes behind are the monsters. To a previous poster who asked what my definition of beating bikes are...I'd imagine just being able to pull away from the liter bikes in 4th gear or end of 3rd.

man it was a rough night at work, and seeing this thread full of great answers definitely got a smile on my face- thanks guys.

EMX5636

A buddies 2G with 708whp stayed about a car length ahead of a newer 08+ CBR1000RR from 30 roll till about 130 until he let off. I think they raced 2 or 3 pulls that night, pretty much the same outcome or dead even.

theevozero

In one of these bricks, I would imagine 700+whp might do it. I have a buddy in a Mirage, if I had to guess, making around 600+hp. I've never seen get beat, by car or bike. But, that is a tin can with lots of power.

Galantvr41062

I will race ANY LITER bike no mater what is done to it in a 75mph-175mph high way run. Cash in hand lets make this legit.

thecman02

Haha I'm sure this guy would love to eat you alive. click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned