The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Wideband in stock location poll

James

turbowop

I vote yes. While I'm not doing it now, I'm not opposed to it after reading what the ECMlink guys had to say about it. I may change mine so that it's in the stock location sometime over the winter.

James

If it's a landslide victory for yes than I'll just do it. (assuming people voting yes have actually done it, or have good reason as to why it's ok)

thecman02

I've been running the wideband in the stock location for a little over two years now. It works good. I can change the stoichiometric voltage to a leaner setting and it has given me pretty significant cruising MPG when ecmlink is simulating narrowband.

jnava

Staff member
Do as you wish, but keep in mind what the instructions say. Some sensors indicate a distance for turbo specific cars. Just depends on the manufacturer recommendations.

Last edited:

kartorium

I voted no. To be specific I had my PLX in the stock location using the narrow out to the ecu. Ecu is chipped, but factory. Without changing anything and putting the stock O2 back in and the wideband in the recommended location down stream the car actually ran noticeably better. Just my experience.

turbofonz

My friend bought a brand new LC-1 kit, runs his in the stock location, and is on his 3rd sensor in maybe 5000 miles. My LC-1 I got used, run it down after the turbo, likely over 15,000 miles and have yet to touch the sensor.

Coincidence? maybe. I'll stick with it out back. You can try the heatsink method if you run it up front

Last edited:

James

I put it in the back

IncorpoRatedX

I voted no, installation instructions generally exist for a reason.

turbowop

According to this Bosch PDF , the operating temp is 930C and max temp is 1030C. If you're seeing those temps in your o2 housing, I think you have bigger problems.

I'm going to be putting a PLX WB in 503 soon, and plan to use the o2 housing location for the sensor. I guess time will tell how it does compared to the one in 1051.

boostin4door

Quoting jnava:
"keep in mind what the instructions say. Some sensors indicate a distance for turbo specific cars, recommendations.

Yup

Drew84

I've been running both my Talon and Galant with the widebands in the stock location, (2g) o2 housing. I also use the narrow band out put to run the ECU. I've had no issues. They seem to be very accurate. My Talon has a PLX-M250 I've been running since 2005 and in my Galant I've been using an AEM unit for about a year now.

James

And she liked it blacksheep... She liked it...

I mean I out it almost about 23 inches back from the o2 housing.

EHmotorsports

I'm about 4 inches down from the stock location. Its been fine for years now. But I do have a copper heatsink around the o2 just for peace of mind.

mitsuturbo

After reading a lot on the link forums about this subject, I decided to go with the stock location. Link v3 seems to do a fine job with NB sim internally, so i didn't see any good reason to run a factory NB.

James

A lot of mixed answers from some knowledgable members.

slugsgomoo

PLX says 18-30" from the turbine outlet in my manual /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I don't know the entire justification, but some anecdotal evidence I've seen says that sensors tend to die more quickly in stock location. I would agree with Mark that the temp doesn't seem to be the issue since I can't imagine EGT's in the 930C (1700F) or higher range being that spectacular for anything.

I think the biggest thing is to be sure you install it at the appropriate angle so that it's not getting moisture buildup when it's sitting. My recollection was that the ideal range was something like 1-2 o'clock or so.

turbowop

Quoting mitsuturbo:
After reading a lot on the link forums about this subject, I decided to go with the stock location. Link v3 seems to do a fine job with NB sim internally, so i didn't see any good reason to run a factory NB.

Yes, NB sim works well in the stock location, but is slow reacting farther back. This is adjustable in direct access, but hard to get perfect.

Best method, IMO: run a stock NB in the o2 housing and a WB downstream for logging. Otherwise you use WB only and simulate NB. Both locations have drawbacks. Slow NB sim reaction or possible shorter sensor life. Im aware of what the PLX manual states, but when the guys that created ECMlink are saying they've seen zero issues with the WB sensor mounted in the stock o2 location, I take notice. They seem to know their sh*t, yanno?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts