The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Widest Tire on 16" Wheels

R4CERX

I'm looking to get a set of new wheels for my galant. I was looking at 16x8 Rota Slipstreams and wanted GVR4's opinion on the widest tire and what offset to run while tucking in the wheels wells if possible. I'm going to be rolling my fenders and will pull them if needed. Willing to be open to other wheels and prefer simple 5 spoke designs.

Thanks
-Daniel

citymunky

You sure you want Rota?

rotamotivation1195624239.jpg

rota_wheels.jpg

raptorWagon

Rotas have gotten a bit better in quality since those days and not everybody can afford the real deal of wheels lol.

R4CERX

I would love to have a set of Work Equip 5 spokes or Evo Regamasters but I can't justify spending that much for my DD.

citymunky

As long as you a aware of what can happen to cast rims. I don't know your budget, but nice rims pop up for cheap from time to time. I had a set of Gram Lights 57Pro (4x114.3) for under $600 shipped from Cali. And I just pick up a set of 3-piece Work VS-XX (4x114.3) for $700 shipped from Canada.

Try looking at 240SX forums, the S13's had the same bolt pattern as our GVR4.

Here are a Set of Stern ST-2's,(cheaply made Cast rims) I had on my G35.

3019547512_9b05575e6d.jpg
3019548362_48eeb3a849.jpg

Here is what they should have looked like. Notice above the whole polished lip is missing.

2818833924_6c844d5e45.jpg

I'm glad I have another set of rims laying around, otherwise I would have been sucking.

Last edited:

citymunky

Not sure it was at night and I looked over to my girl for a secord, than BAM! Maybe a pothole. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Anyway OP, I don't know the answer to question, but this link should be helpful. http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Last edited:

BadVr4

Rota's are fine, thousands and thousands of sets out there without a single problem. Most of the time you see the wheels damaged from people who cant drive, and run into things and damage them themselves and then blame it on the wheel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

JNR

I'm in the market for wheels (not the vr-4, as I already have some good ones) and I would not trust my well being on some chinese ripoffs; rather, I'll save up for the real thing (or find some used), or just stay content with the stockers for the time being (least they're really strong)...I'd love to get some 2 or 3-piece forged, mmm...Anyway, only thing between the car and the road are the tires and wheels and not sure why people skimp there.

turbowop

What's the saying all the high dollar wheel whores use? If you're spending more on tires than on wheels, you're doing it wrong? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I personally wouldn't use cheap wheels either. Great deals can be had on quality wheels...you just gotta know where to look.

And I wouldn't use anything less than a 235 on an 8" wheel.

JNR

Yeah and especially on a low profile tire (i.e. 40 series or less), although we know mark likes the stretched tire look /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Speaking of wheel prices, holy crap on how much (new) some of them are! I hope to find a nice used set, but finding the right ones (for me on looks) is going to be tricky..Sort of like to find a gold mesh (or multi spoke) with polished rim; car's purple so thinking it would contrast nice. Just worried how fun mesh would be to clean.

JoeDaddy0

I just changed out to 5 bolt for wheel choices and the ability to use evo wheels. I chose 17" since for now it has the widest choices of 235x40 or 245x35 tires, 215x45 snow tires which I use as winter tire. It has always been my understanding to match wheel rim size to tread size.
Now the question is, will a 215 extreme performance tire outperform a 235 ultra performance tire. I am sure it wont hydroplane so easily. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

R4CERX

I appreciate the concern for the wheels but that wasn't my question. If we take the wheels out of the equation, the question is what is the widest tire I can stuff on a 16x8 and what offset. Anyone with firsthand experience with this? I was thinking somewhere around 245/50/16, just need help with offset for clearance. And I understand I'm going to need to run coilovers, just have to find some.
Thanks
-Daniel

Jesus_Negros

Good luck finding that size. I know when I was looking for a set of 245/45/16 wheels the only affordable non-drag radial I could find were Nexen tires everything else was $215 per tire and Nexen being about $100 per tire. Unless you want to drive on some Toyo Proxes r888 for your DD car, I think a 235 would be better size to use just because of availabilty alone.

kartorium

Quoting turbowop:
What's the saying all the high dollar wheel whores use? If you're spending more on tires than on wheels, you're doing it wrong? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I personally wouldn't use cheap wheels either. Great deals can be had on quality wheels...you just gotta know where to look.

fno1rc's are cheap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I'm not sure I understand the hoopla about rota's or any cast wheel for that matter. If you hit a f***ing curb or launch your car through some gnarly holes in the road with lower profile tires sh*t is gonna get messed up. Wheels don't just disintegrate randomly while driving down the road, which is how some of you make it seem.

If you smash your car into something expect damage.

Mark has been in the car with me when I've slid into a curb at 30+ with my rota slipstreams. The lip got real messed up, but the rest of the wheel is fine, and has been for years. That was a pretty massive hit, yet my shitty cast rota's are fine structurally. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Kind off odd, shouldn't they have just completely blew the hell apart?

kartorium

And yes. 245 will probably be the biggest you want to go on a 16x8.

You could go 255, but it might not gain you much. Also, with a 16x8 you probably don't want anything higher than a 38mm offset.

turbowop

I feel more comfortable about the 5zigens being they're made in Japan. They are the greatest offensive power! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

And yes, your Rotas did take a big hit. I'm surprised they didn't crumble that day. Maybe it helped that your tires aren't stretched and actually have some meat to protect the rim. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

While I'm not a fan of chinese/taiwan wheels, I know they can work just fine. And while it's not like this with the Galant, I just hate to see Evo guys take off a perfectly good set of BBS just to install some cheap Rotas.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts