The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What's broken here?

James

Driving today I took a corner at normal speeds. About half way through I head a bang and a clank... Nothing abnormal sounding after that.. I got out and noticed the driver side rear sitting about 2 inches lower. Squeezed under to see this.

Good:
FAFB512A-2227-410E-84AE-A1EE2637CBFB-9725-000008C1E38A2EDB.jpg

And the bad:
4C73B11F-1729-4E24-8666-2CD7F1069084-9725-000008C1DFAAD932.jpg

Obviously some mounting point broke and the suspension fell and is resting on the lines there (super unsafe I know). I won't see the car again for
About three days so I'm posting this to get some idea of where to start looking when info get to it.

James

For the record my guess is the lower mounting section for the springs rusted/busted off the shock.

citymunky

That's what it looks like.

James

Now my real question .

Are 1g and vr4 shocks the same? And I should be able to just replace the shock and call it a day

LIV4PSI

From what I have researched, yes the shocks are the same. The springs and top hats are whats different. What kind of suspension set up do you have currently, some sort of DIY coilovers?

Not good, they look like sleeve's on the oem shock. By chance anyone know if the stock struts are rebuild able?

James

When I bought the car I was told this

"1g suspension in the front, no name coilovers in the back"

They look like ground control sleeves in the rear, am I right?

citymunky

Base on the colors, I would say so. When I picked up 923/2000, I was told it was on OEM 1g suspension from a 92 Talon Tsi.

James

Well I took a risk today because I dont have the funds this week for 1 new shock. Plus I want to replace 4 anyways.

I took it off the car and and got the spring mount back to its correct location. I tac welded it back on, 4 spots on the bottom and 4 spots on the top. Took it out for a two hour drive and it seems to be holding up well.

From what I could see, from the factory it only has 4 spot welds from the factory anyways.

This is a temp fix till I can pick up 4 new ones

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned