The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Suspensionz and other stuffs

turbowop

Well, new to me anyway, but pre-owned /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I purchased one of the last set of Tein HA's in the country for our cars back in '01. They were about the best thing you could get back then and I got a good deal through a buddy that owned a small ricer shop. They're still in great shape, but stiff as hell and large bumps/potholes will put the fronts into the bumpstops at my ride height due to the length of the shock bodies. So a few weeks ago when Ludachris from t00ners posted about Ohlins being available for gvr4/1g cars and seeing Clint's (turboawdfanatic) car being used a test mule for that setup along with offering up his Muellerized JIC's for sale I decided to nab his after they sat on the market for a couple of weeks.

The adjustable shock bodies should take care of the bumpstop issues, and the Muellerized valving/springrates should allow for a more comfortable ride. Plus the JIC's use inverted front struts and the setup is all monotube rather than twin-tube like my HA's. I feel it's a bit of an upgrade. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I've purchased my fair share of used parts over the years. I always refurbish these parts before I put them on my car. Even though the parts are used, I like to freshen them up so I feel like I'm installing brand new goodies and also to go through them and make sure the parts have no issues. These coilovers were no different. This time I snapped a bunch of pics and thought I would share... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I didn't get a shot of them before I tore them down, so it begins with them in pieces and still dirty (although they weren't horrible and are completely free of rust, just normal roadgrime/dirt):

9450541007a8fd5.jpg

All clean and ready to be reassembled:

9450541007e243b.jpg

Inverted strut bodies regreased and reinserted into the threaded bodies (this was neat as it is the first set of inverted struts I've ever dealt with):

94505410080b12f.jpg

Finished product. I had to use a brand new set of Tein camber plates I had laying around for spares since the JIC ones were for a DSM:

945054100828a5a.jpg

Teins off the car and next to the JIC's for comparison:

9450541008476aa.jpg

On the car and off the jackstands. I dropped the car another smidge. Probably about 1/2". Just enough height under the front and rear that I can still get my floorjack underneath the car without having to drive it up on 2x6 wood blocks. That's also part of the reason I removed the lip...it made it a pain in the ass to jack the car up as my floorjack wouldn't clear it. Anyway:

9450541008805cb.jpg

94505410086562e.jpg

I haven't driven it yet. Still need to jack it up and tighten down a few things and then get an alignment since I messed with camber and threw the toe settings off. Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow and I'll update the thread after I get a chance to test this stuff out.

Also, before I decided to get these JICs, I had my dad working on a special project for me. He works for an aviation company with a lot of machinists and equipment. I asked if he could fab up a couple of camber plates that mount on top of the strut tower in an effort to gain some compression travel back for my Teins. He finished them today, unfortunately too late since they're not required with the JICs. But I think I'm going to see how well they work by throwing the Teins on 503 with these top-mount camber plates. Here is how they turned out:

Finished product. Fits a spherical bearing from a Tein camber plate:

9450541007c6344.jpg

What it looks like underneath. It has a channel machined into it to accept the ridge that runs around the hole in the GVR4 strut tower. These should allow for about one extra inch of compression travel, which is huge. If they fail, and the struts or bolts break and they go through into the hood, oh well, it's only 503. But I know other companies make top-mounts and Karter has had his Tein plates on top like this with washers for spacers for quite awhile now with no issues, so I think they'll be okay. This obviously wasn't the finished product, but it shows the machine work underneath:

945054100784009.jpg

If these work out, and people want some, it's possible that I could get some copies made. But I'd have to find another source to copy them since my dad can't really do that much side work without getting in trouble. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Tre3zy

MUST BE NICE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif i bet this are night and day difference compare to my BC coilovers... im so jelly LOL looks good though mark...

EMX5636

Nice score on the JIC's Mark. I was drooling over them for a bit, but with a wedding in 6 months, and other home essentials to spend money on, just couldn't swing for them. I'm really digging the camber plates for the Tiens as well. That car is sooo clean. Makes #108 look like a beater. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Noobsauce

It would be great to see you at the tracks. (SIR,PIR, the ridge)
If you dont mind a good bunch of people BMW aca and Alfa club track days are pretty fun.

turbowop

A bunch of my buddies are at The Ridge today running chump car series. Two teams. Dead Bull and Crapst Blue Ribbon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Running a track day is one of those things I'd like to do eventually though. Looks like so much fun.

Also, I just got back from having the car aligned. Drives awesome. So much more compliant than the Teins were. Soft, yet super sporty feeling. No more feeling like my fillings are going to be knocked out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Noobsauce

Haha great team names. And they are a blast to attend. You have a chance to take your car to the limits and be able to find the weak points for further modifications. It's good to see others take such pride in there work and cars as you do. It's a rare quality.

turbowop

I just pulled apart the Teins to clean them up a bit. The front spherical bearings are toast. I can move the balls up/down in their housings about .5mm. I do have the ones that came with the JICs and they're in excellent shape however. Unfortunately, the Tein bearings require a special tool to remove them, so I'm gonna hit up a local machine shop to see if they can be swapped out using their wizardry. That way I don't have to send these off to Tein in Kali to have done.

Barnes

I can't even imagine how much nicer your car drives since I rode in it last. Since then you've swapped out the twin disc, the MAFT Pro, and now the Tein's. And everytime it sounds like you improve the drivabilty of the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

turbowop

Yeah, that's been the theme this year for 1051. I wanted to make it more streetable and fun to drive without so much harshness. So far, so good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I tried to capture some sunlight shots, but my girlfriends camera kinda sucks. I should probably invest in a new one, but all this money on the car has tapped me out... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

The car actually settled a bit than where I first set it for height. Even this low, it rides better than the Teins ever did. I might raise it back up a 1/4".

9450551608a0474.jpg

dmj

The car now looks 2 times better than before. I absolutely love the stance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

citymunky

Wop how long have you had 1051?

jepherz

Staff member
Too low, IMO, but looks great other than that. Why don't you have your dad machine some aluminum plates instead of just using washers on the bottom side of the strut towers? You'd restore the strength of the stock set up being mounted underneath. I've seen some plates set up in a similar fashion that also allow caster adjustment, that'd be extra neat :)

JNR

Got some hard parking going on there!

Wheels compliment the car nicely!

turbowop

Quoting citymunky:
Wop how long have you had 1051?

Yanno, it's funny you should ask because I thought about this today. I noticed all the "build" threads and realized I don't have one. Back when I joined the JGRonline site, I'm not sure many people did those. I have always just created a thread when I put something new on the car or changed the setup. Purchased November of '98, so almost 14 years now. 70k miles. I daily'd it for the first couple of years carrying skis on the roof and a BMX bike on a trunk mount carrier.

Four turbos, five sets of wheels, five suspension setups, three transmissions, five clutch setups, three different aftermarket intercoolers, ten different Keydiver chips, and a stack of timeslips that fill up a junk drawer. Not to mention all the other small changes and maintenance over the years. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif The longest the car was on jackstands was winter '03-'04 where I had the head rebuilt and changed the headstuds/gasket and went from a s16g to an FPgreen. That took five months. How the stock bottom end is still alive after all these years I'll never know.

turbowop

Quoting jepherz:
Too low, IMO, but looks great other than that. Why don't you have your dad machine some aluminum plates instead of just using washers on the bottom side of the strut towers? You'd restore the strength of the stock set up being mounted underneath. I've seen some plates set up in a similar fashion that also allow caster adjustment, that'd be extra neat :)

The plan is to have plates machined for the underside of the strut towers. I guess the company has been coming down hard on people doing side work though, so getting anymore parts made will be difficult.

89Mirageman

Looking good man! I will admit that I wasn't a huge fan of the wheels when you first got them but they have grown on me and really do compliment the rest of the car quite nicely. I couldn't imagine owning the same car for so long, most of the time a year or two is it for me before I move onto something else. I do look forward to your updates, it's always nice to see someone taking the time and money to keep these things looking good.

kartorium

Quoting jepherz:

When I was talking to Mark originally about this (he wanted more stroke with the teins) I was hoping to get one of the sets of these and do what you're talking about. My thought was always to just use this machined piece as a spacer though and not a pillow mount, then slot the tein camber plate mounting holes, mount the plates on top, and add a tiny bit more caster while gaining stroke. When you put the camber plates on top, you do loose a little bit of negative adjustment due to the pillow mounts contacting the tower though.

Some plates for the underside are necessary IMO, but can also be a lot simpler.

It all turned out really well Mark, however, I think it's too low. Needs to come up a half inch or so.

4Grim

The car looks really good...and those JIC's are baller.

Your car has been one of my inspirations. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned