The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Heckert's old car, getting it back on the road.

Spyder

Finally getting the car on the road. Started work on it with my brother on Sunday. Holy crap what a job.

Getting started.

Bad bad bad lines.

This is what we pulled out of the fenders.

More rust.

Gas Tanks,

Getting the engine ready. Evo 3 16g

Last edited:

Spyder

All that rust is basically from sitting in grass for a year or so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Going to have to make new brake lines and fuel lines. Going to completely remove 4ws system. Need to get new struts, intake gasket, tires, fenders, bumpers.

I am going to drop the front subframe, clean the belly of as much crap as I can and por15 / rustoleum the whole thing.

alansupra94

Yeah I pretty much have to do the same thing in the Galant come spring time. The rust I have isn't too bad but I really don't want it spreading. I assume you are going to put down POR15 then spray it with rustoleum? Have any tips?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Adam, do you still have a white one too?

That fender cleaning pile is too typical. I try to clean mine out every year.

Spyder

Quoting alansupra94:
Yeah I pretty much have to do the same thing in the Galant come spring time. The rust I have isn't too bad but I really don't want it spreading. I assume you are going to put down POR15 then spray it with rustoleum? Have any tips?

None yet except take what you think your estimate of time is and multiply it by 4 or 5. I just could not believe how bad it is. Plus having to re-make all the lines to the rear! At least when it is done, that will be that.

As for the por-15 and rustoleum. Terry Posten has more experience with the rustoleum. I have only done the fuel tank with POR. I have to say I am impressed with the coverage. That stuff will go a long way. I have mainly talked with people that have used it and have had it on applications for 15 plus years. They say it still looks as good as the day they put it on. For metal that is in very poor shape, you need to prep it correctly. That is about it. Plus the stuff I am using is not meant to be in direct sunlight, but they do make paint that works in sunlight. They also have high heat enamel that will withstand 1200f temps. And they have gas tank sealers that I am interested in.

Spyder

Quoting iceman69510:
Adam, do you still have a white one too?

That fender cleaning pile is too typical. I try to clean mine out every year.

I actually have a black one. '91. I have never owned a white one. My brother did but it isn't white any more. JCgalant. He has pictures of it on the site somewhere. As of now it is a roller that has been completely re-done, just needs reassembly.

jepherz

Staff member
Rust sucks; that's really unfortunate that is all recent.

I had poor luck with the gas tank sealer from POR because it was hard as hell to use in a car-sized gas tank. I think it'd be fine on a motorcycle tank but I'd never attempt it again on a car. That crap has been flaking off for years...

As far as the regular POR, you only have to top coat to prevent UV exposure. If the spots you're covering won't see sunlight it won't turn chalky, nor will it affect its performance if it does turn chalky. Their site specifically calls out this scenario.

If you're going to top-coat, you should use their tie-coat primer. Also, other words of advice; use all of their chemicals (marine clean and acid etch). If you try to clean with your own chemicals and don't do it right you can only expect so much. Also, make sure you have everything cleaned down to bare metal either by sand blasting or wire-wheeling. If parts of your application go on top of paint you can't expect it to hold any better than the paint below, and it won't do the same in terms of rust protection. I've used the stuff for years and have sandblasted every underside part of my Datsun and coated with POR15. Let me know if you have questions.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I think I remembered you driving the white one to a meet once.

Spyder

yeah I did. Jeremy had his JDM that trip and wanted to take them both. I got a ticket on the way home in that car.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned