The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Broken again

vr4play

I've broken a lot of parts over the years but this is the first time I managed to do this. The power wire to the boost controller had a fuse with a spring and a bundle of wire all together thanks to whoever installed it and the spring has gotten weak enough that the wire pulling on it cuts power which allows as much boost as possible. I don't know how much but the gauge goes to 30psi and it went way past that on 93. It started to overheat so I thought headgasket. Apparently it was more.

I am on the fence with what I want to do. I'm thinking of a cheap set of eagle rods for now and building a stroker over the winter. Then I can use this motor in my daily and put a bigger turbo on the race car. I've already missed on race so I need to get it going before the next.

Vr4junkie

Man that sucks first time I seen a rod bent that bad did the block make it out ok.

James

You didn't stop when you noticed the gauge going past your set boost?

vr4play

Its really hard to look at the boost gauge during an auto-x. Your to busy looking at the course. The gauges in my car are for tuning and if I decide to go drag racing. I do glance at them on occasion or have the passenger look if I suspect a problem but crap happens.

GSX_TC

Sorry to hear that man, this is why I don't trust electronic boost controllers.

LIV4PSI

What kind of boost controller was it? Sounds more like a freak occurrence or an install error more than anything. Either way, I'm sorry it happened.

vr4play

boost controller is a blitz dsbc. When it in actuator mode it goes to spring pressure without power but in external mode apparently thats not the case. I'm removing the fuse altogether and wiring it in straight to the radio power wire and use that fuse. Car doesn't have a radio. If I still have issues I'll buy a IR solenoid and use dsmlink to control boost. The blitz does an awesome job when it works. No spikes, no drop off just rock steady. I need to make sure its still set for external. I suppose the switch could have got bumped when my buddy was wire tying everything up out of the way but I doubt it.

mitsuturbo

After it's back up and running, double check your wastegate signal hose configuration. There's a failsafe way to run the DSBC or SBCID and still be able to run dual port external gate. I've been running the SBC-iD like this for years. Even after having the solenoid get disconnected once, i was able to avoid any problems.

Sucks to see this has happened to you. That's part of why i use my boost controller as the gauge. I can tell right away if something is awry.

vr4play

So I am in the process of ordering parts to get this thing up and running and am trying to choose between the Manley H-beam rods or the Turbo Tuff rods. I was thinking of using eagle but have heard too many horror stories to risk that one. There is only $100 difference in price between the 2 but the H-beam are in stock and the turbo tuff are not. With a 50 trim turbo I'm not sure its worth the extra time and money to wait. At best I'm thinking I can only get about 450 at the wheels. I know that we lunched a set of the H-beam rods in the road race car a few years ago so I'm leaning towards the TT rods but thought I would ask for opinions. Thanks

mitsuturbo

Six bolt rods are well known to handle power levels in the 500whp range AFAIK.. what sort of horror stories are associated with Eagle rods, and what led to the aversion to using them?

vr4play

The stock rods are supposed to be good for a decent amount of power but there is no cushion of safety for if something goes wrong, hence the banana I have now. I'm sure it could have been way worse so I decided to get better rods. I've built a few cars for people with eagle rods and had them be very happy but I've heard of a lot of people having them break and my machinist says there quality control isn't up to par with the more expensive rods. I trust his opinion based on the amount of engines he has built in his life. Drag racing is one thing were your making power for 10-12 seconds but I want to be on track making 500hp for 30 minutes at a time and not have to worry about flying parts from the block. I work on cars all day almost everyday and don't like working on mine anymore so the less time I spend taking it apart cause I'm not happy the better. A friend of mine last night told me he just recently removed a set of eagle rods from a motor just to get piece of mind and that was the deciding factor for me.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts