The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

JDM Galant VR-4 and Eterna ZR-4 Model Information

fuel

Hey guys, been procrastinating a little at work so made up a little web page outlining all the JDM models of the Galant VR-4 sedan and Eterna ZR-4 hatch with their dates released and quick run down of major specs. Hopefully this will resolve some confusion over the many variants of the JDM VR-4s and their parts available.

Link is here - click

Let me know any comments or suggestions, or even corrections and updates. If you have any other Mitsubishi brochures covering the models I don't have brochures for then please also let me know!

(Could a mod please sticky this to save people asking about this info time and time over again?)

Thanks,
Phil

GSX_TC

Def make this a sticky

Good job Phillip

fuel

Bump. Some more info added. RedTwo how about that input? :p

quato

Awesome info! This is exactly what I needed since I live in Japan and was looking for what I need to pick up before I head back to the states /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

misterfixit

gtluke

In the top right square it's E38A without 4WS but in the text of that part it says 3-spoke '4WS' emblem steering wheel
4WD?
Otherwise awesome. are we sure the Eterna has a lower roof and raked windshield? I've heard that but that's crazy, it would mean all the doors are different too no?

Dasith

yes Eterna does have a lower roof and all the doors are accordingly different

Here in australia, we got the Eterna body shape as the Galant GSR. Its got the lower roof and different doors

gtluke

Crazy they would go through that much trouble.

gtluke

Maybe it just has a different roof skin then, 2cm is nothing. I'm still doubting different doors.

fuel

Quoting gtluke:
In the top right square it's E38A without 4WS but in the text of that part it says 3-spoke '4WS' emblem steering wheel
4WD?
Otherwise awesome. are we sure the Eterna has a lower roof and raked windshield? I've heard that but that's crazy, it would mean all the doors are different too no?

Thanks for pointing that out - I literally just copied the info from E39A over to E38A for the first facelift - I can't actually remember what emblem the 3-spoke RS wheels would have, perhaps just 'MMC' instead of a large '4WS' and 'MMC' that the E39A has.

Quoting gtluke:
Maybe it just has a different roof skin then, 2cm is nothing. I'm still doubting different doors.

Oh so you've actually had something to do with the Eterna liftback then? When was the last time you tried fitting Eterna doors or front windscreen onto a Galant or vice versa? No? Never? Thought so.

Doors are definitely different with the frame shape along with the glass. That would mean the mechanism is also slightly different to accommodate the different in height the windows need to roll up & down. The outer skin panel and the interior door trim would be the same as the Galant though.

fuel

The Eterna & Eterna Sava have a roof skin which is part of the body shell - that is it's not welded in separately like the Galant sedan and it doesn't have the trim strips hiding the join along the length of the roof.

But hey what would we know, it's not like RedTwo has owned an Eterna ZR-4 before, and I certainly haven't owned this Eterna Sava either

DSCF1876.jpg

fuel

Quoting misterfixit:
Any use?
click

Thanks for that - I only wish I could read Japanese! Looks like some useful information in there for sure.

kama1

heres a front windshield of the eterna on my vr4.bought the windshield by mistake.

fuel

thanks for showing actual evidence kama!

kama1

No prob sir.from what ive seen,door glass and door itself is shorter on the eterna too.just dont have a pic.

Last edited:

gtluke

I'm blown away. There has to be an explanation as to why they would do this. WTF is the difference between that Eterna with a trunk and a Galant with a trunk? Were they available in the same markets at the same time? Produced at different factories?
Can you imagine going to a dealer and picking between 2 cars and having the salesman explain that one car has a 2cm lower roof, with the skin welded to the 1/4 with different rear 1/4 windows? What in the f*** is the rational behind this?
It just seems they added an assload more work to sell no more additional cars. I can see the hatchback, but why not just like a normal galant? That trunk eterna is just completely bizarre.
There has to be a better story.

fuel

Its common for many japanese makers to release multiple body styles on the one singular chassis platform. I will post more examples when i get home from work.

gtluke

I was kinda shocked when I realized how different the 3kgt and stealth are, but at least they were different brands and attempted to look different.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts