The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

DD Build 474/1000

matt92vr4

Broke down on the way to work this morning sitting at a light. Had the radio on so I didn't hear anything. Motor spins free with no compression. I figured the t belt snapped (as I've been sporting a shady t-belt with a big groove). I popped the cover off and was surprised to see the tbelt in tact. Crank is turning, cams are not. I figure I snapped the crank or timing gear teeth. Or maybe the cams are locked and ripped the teeth off the belt down low.

Time for an upgrade!!!! Who wants to play the guessing game with me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

EDIT: Figure I would turn this into the official build thread.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

I'm going to go ahead and guess that the teeth are stripped off your timing belt right at the crank pulley. I'm also going to venture a guess that something is seized. If you would drive with a frayed timing belt, it's not a far stretch of imagination to think you'd drive without oil as well.

matt92vr4

Yeah I would put that one past me, but it does in fact have oil at this time.

curtis

Keyway on the crank or the crank had a laser installed improperly

mitsuturbo

The groove is from an oil pan bolt which was installed and is too long for the application. Once you fix your bent valves and shredded timing belt, as well as whatever other internal problems there are with the engine, make sure and put the right length bolt in the oil pan under the oil pump pulley.

matt92vr4

Yes that is correct and great advice. I've been keeping an eye on this belt for the last 10k miles. As you can tell I don't take things too seriously. It's only $$

Besides I like to blow things up, push the limits, make things better etc. When someone says a timing belt needs to be replaced I like to actually watch it go and calculate how long it lasted etc.

I actually do not believe the belt failed due to the groove. I'm looking forward to finding and sharing the results.

matt92vr4

Exactly. I have not dug in yet but I've noticed that the teeth on the belt are missing and the cams seem to be locked.

I told the tow truck guy I needed a flatbed. He didn't believe that a Galant was AWD lol

Dasith

Quoting gramkrakr89:
^^ that is what DSMs are for

Quote:
Exactly. I have not dug in yet but I've noticed that the teeth on the belt are missing and the cams seem to be locked.

I told the tow truck guy I needed a flatbed. He didn't believe that a Galant was AWD lol

what that Gentleman meant was that the Galant is not a DSM, and don't treat it like one....

matt92vr4

oh yeah I guess you are right. Too bad my kids don't fit in the back of a DSM. Guess I'll have to do it to a galant.

matt92vr4

Took the belt off. Cams and crank are not locked up. Fun tidbit of info. It took seven swipes of a (new) razor blade to cut through the belt.

matt92vr4

Finally took some vacation days so I could work on the car. I was able to pull the engine and roll the car outside for a much needed bath. Tomorrow is deep cleaning the engine bay and tearing down the motor. Here are some pics.

Just getting started after lunch.

Out she comes

Very nappy

What a dirty girl! I can't wait to scrub all of this grime off!

Wheels back on and a nice bath! 7pm

GSX_TC

I like that last picture. I wonder what happened.

matt92vr4

Yeah the last picture is my fav too. She cleans up very nice! I should have some nice pics to add by the end of today. The teeth on the belt stripped off by the crank gear. The belt was severely compromised by the grove but honestly it looks like the stripped teeth issue is not related.

GSX_TC

That's a weird failure, What do u think caused it to strip the teeth just In that area?

transparentdsm

it depends how old the belt is. there supposed to be changed every 5 years or 60,000 miles. also with that bolt putting the groove in the belt that compromises its integrity. for all we know it wasn't all of them at once, it could have happened one tooth at a time till it hit a point where it had nothing to hold on too and stripped out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts