The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear Quarter panel window wind noise

tsitalon1

Hoping someone has resolved this before, My GVR4 is leaking air (wind noise) around the rear quarter panel window or possibly the rear window (I can't tell which)

Has anyone delt with this in the past? What's the fix...black glue around window?

desant78

i don't have a solution...but the same exact problem. so it does seem common. anyway would love to see some ideas on how to fix it, since I need to tackle this very soon.

If wind can get through, water can too. Spray that area down real good and have someone inside to find the water.

Terry Posten

Pull the inner plastic wall out (will have to remove the back seat completely) and then remove the 3 nuts that hold the window down. Carefully push the window out making sure you don't let it drop to the ground, it will, break.

Clean all the old black tar sealant from the window and side wall frame.

Get to your local auto parts store and pick up a roll of window sealant tar and make a nice ring around the window big enough to seal properly but not too much that it oozes out past the edge of the frame.

Reassemble car.

TIP: the black tar is a mess to deal with. Take your time and keep it from making a bigger mess as you take it all off. Once you have the majority off both pieces, use a small amount of paint thinner soaked into a rag and clean all the surfaces. Again, take your time. Don't let the thinner drip down the side of the car. You won't be happy if you do.

Terry Posten

Make sure you get the right sealant. It does not come in a tube.

It comes in a flat box and is like a rope that can be handled. It is sticky. If you get the stuff that is too thick, you can stretch it down to thin it out to the perfect thickness.

This sealant is perfect for front windows, side fixed windows, and rear tail lights.

It is cheap and great to keep on the shelf. Never hardens so it will last for ever if kept out of direct sunlight.

Let me find the part number I got from OReillys auto.

Last edited:

Terry Posten

Sorry, box is gone but here is a pic of what I have left. It was about $10 for enough to do a whole front window.

Crap, can't upload from my iPad. Send me an email address and I will email you the pic. Then you can uplad for everyone else.

Terry Posten

It's called "Butyl tape".

Here is an eBay ad, but is cheap at any auto store.

click

turbowop

I just did this on 1051 yesterday. Today I do 503. And I thought 4ws removal was a messy job. The old butyl is the messiest sh*t I've ever dealt with. What a pain in the ass. NOT a fun project.

rdomeck

Most of the older body guys call this stuff "dumb dumb" It's black and comes in a box and is in 12" strip's. It is similar to plumbers putty if you have ever used it. If you have problems finding it go to a automotive paint store. They will know what "dumb dumb" is!

turbowop

Just finished 503. Ugh. Do not want to ever do again, though this time I was quicker and less messy about it having learned from doing the job yesterday on the other car.

The stuff I used I picked up at Autozone. It was longer than 12" strips for sure. Came in a box and had enough in one roll to do the two windows on both cars. I made sure to put the "joint" at the bottom of the windows.

When I pulled everything apart, the passenger side was missing a good 4" or so of sealant on one side. No wonder there was so much wind noise at freeway speeds. It would also leak water like a motherf*r everytime I washed the car. It had all "melted" and conglomerated at the base of the window, making for a huge mess. Some of that sh*t had even made it to the inside of the plastic interior panel, so whenever I tried to clean the inside of the windows, my paper towels would get that gunk all over them. Now both cars are air/water leak free and have a nice clean bead of sealant around them. Glad it's done. Hopefully it lasts another 20 years.

Last edited:

Jason G.

Quoting rdomeck:
Most of the older body guys call this stuff "dumb dumb" It's black and comes in a box and is in 12" strip's. It is similar to plumbers putty if you have ever used it. If you have problems finding it go to a automotive paint store. They will know what "dumb dumb" is!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I actually went through this a few weeks ago. I've been doing body work on my DSM and have been getting advice from an old school body guy. I needed some of this stuff so he told me to just go to the local jobber and ask for dumb dumb, they'd know what I'm talking about. And sure enough, they knew.

Terry Posten

It is the same stuff that is used on the tail lights. You can also use it to re-fit front and back windows.

turbowop

But isn't the stuff used on the windshield and back window different? I'm pretty sure it's fully cured and hard, it doesn't stay soft like this butyl stuff. That and there aren't bolts holding in the windshield and back window like the quarter windows, just the sealant. I think the front and backs are actually structural.

Terry Posten

They use a new sealant/glue now but in the old days, this was it.

fuel

^^ yeah windscreens are actually a structural member of the body shell and need to be bonded in - that's why it's such a prick of a job to cut them out!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned