The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Just installed FIAV Blockoff

AuSpecVr4

Hey

Just did the FIAV blockoff but still have my ISC, i havent noticed to much of a difference yet, i just installed the plate, i've seen so many topics but none really clear on what to do. Do i need to do anything else other then route the water line from the water block to the lower water hose? some people fill the fiav with some weld stuff you guys have in america like some hard resin, i don't see how that makes a difference if that part of the throttle body has no more function?

If someone could clear this up for my it would be great.

Cheers, Brock.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
There was one thread in the archives that will spell it all out. That being said, the last post in there says to remove the plug, dial in and bottom out the core piece you find inside, reinstall plug. Choose whichever option you want, there should be some info on setting the ISC the a certain position and then unplug it. Read the archive post, it will tell all, I cannot really comment much on this because I have kept my TB intact and will continue to do so until forced to do otherwise.

AuSpecVr4

Cheers, the plate was installed fine i've been reading, i had a really high idle at 2k after i did it but my BISS was screwed all the way out due to the FIAV before so once thats set hopefully a rock solid idle!. I changed it blindly today to get it to idle but it was surging a little, but with correct adjustment im sure its going to be a breeze.

Terry Posten

The biggest thing to fight surging idle is a boost leak test and fix every single leak, no matter how small.

95% of the cars out there have leaks at the throttle body shaft seals and/or throttle position switch. Also pay close attention to the injector base seals.

Xcelerate

There's not much advantage on this than just getting rid of the idling problem. I would use a thick gasket paper to seal it better, any auto parts sells a gasket maker that's rolled up. All you need is trace it and cut the peace and drill the wholes for screws. The disadvantage is you have to hold the gas on cold start.

Last edited:

AuSpecVr4

Honestly I think it just comes down to personal choice, if you continue to increase performance, things have to go, when I get a new manifold and throttle body it will only have the isc. It's nice, I like the idle, no more surging, no stalling.

Leon_R

Intake upgrade is fine, but TB is not necessary until you are around 700-800hp and not many people actually go that high.

I had good luck with removing the plug and cranking out the valve.

147/1000

I was wondering how well it works when just removing the plug and bottoming out the screw? And Is it necessary to remove the tb to do this?

DR1665

No idea on the bottoming out the screw bit, Chief, but considering getting those screws out (separating the TB) is the hardest part of the job, I'd say, while theoretically possible, it's not likely to do this without removing the TB.

It's a 15 minute removal process, though. Hardly worth the effort.

Leon_R

Brian is right, removing those screws is a MAJOR PITA! If you replace them with some stocket head screws, you could do it in the future on the car, but not with stock screws.

vtecds1

Mine was somewhat hard to remove. Once i started to see that it might start stripping, I took a pair of pliers and went to town with it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts