The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ticking/knocking noise

Yao

Hello all, I am on a quest to take care of a very annoying problem. I have this ticking/knocking noise that went as far back as I could remember, since when the car is new. I have determined to track down this little annoying tick that made my g-vr4 felt extremely cheap. This noise in question came from the passenger side A-pillar, execatly the A-piller, even more precise, from the hood hinge to the bolt for the seat belt track. Steps taken:

Hood/hinge removed
door removed
dash removed
ecu removed and laying on the floor board
windshield removed together with those annoying plastic clips that hold the windshield
hood crow/vent removed
seat belt removed

STILL have the damn noise that just seems to come from the A-piller!! just a littlest of road irregularities sets it off! loud enough to be heard from out side the a-pillar and inside the car. Me and my friend drove around the block with all those things off the car like a made man hanging around the a-pillar to locate the noise. Next on the list would be the fender removal and checking the main wire harness that goes in the firwall. I've checked and make sure there are no bolts or plastic falls inside the a-pillar, I don't understand what that noise is??! I always thought it was just a lose plastic clip or something and that eventually I'll find it. Appearently after 19 years of ownership and for the life of me, can't figure out what is in this a-pillar that could make this noise. I am almost temped to cut a hole from the inside the a-pillar just to take a peak what is inside the a-pillar?! is that too far? I would imaging it is just hollow inside.... the car have never been in accident on that side of the car.

turbowop

Did you install a new hood hinge, or reinstall the old one? If there is any play in that thing, it will rattle like a motherf*r. Did the same thing in my car. Wedge a piece of paper in there to tighten it up and see if it goes away. If it does, install a new hinge.

Disregard if you are certain that's not the issue.

Yao

None sunroof car and the hood hinges are removed with the hood. Could it possibly be a chassis flex? broken spot weld? If I am really gonna keep this car, I might even go as far as cutting off the a-pillar from the back side and weld on a steel tube into the a-pillar!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts