The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo8 ecu=Pure WIN! Details inside.....

381gvr4

BIG THANKS TO BROX FOR ALL THE HELP ALONG THE WAY!

How-to here: click
(every question I have been PM'd has an answer listed in link above)

I dropped 381 off to a friend of mine, Dr.Mario a month or so ago for some work. With exception of my bottom end, all the work was done at my home garage in CT. Mario is the one who built my motor.

Anywho, I had him fab up new i/c pipes along with a list of other small items.

Yesterday I was in CT and went to the shop at 8am to start street tuning. Mario had already found a good MAP with no MIL's and had idle dialed. We just needed to head out for mid and full throttle pulls.

FIRST REACTION=AWESOME!

The biggest difference I found was in the off throttle, 2nd gear pull in such as a parking lot. Coming off the throttle 100% and getting back on it at slow speeds was noticably smoother. Zero bucking that I had gotten so used to! Idle is awesome with the exception of 3 idle stalls in 120miles. I know Evo's still have the same issues but it is 300x's improved compared to my EPROM and we looged it for correction!!!!(ONLY IN REVERSE WITH WHEEL TURNED SO MAY BE RELATED TO THE POWERSTEERING) Basically, you can instantly tell the processing speed is this generation!!!!!

So far, so good! The timing and fuel map corrections were spot on! MAF correction was at -1 which made things easy.

I couldnt get over 17psi so we tested the actuator and found a vacuum leak. New one ordered and we shall continue on next Sunday.

Stay tuned for an update next w/e!

Last edited:

broxma

To bolster this sentiment, my car just made 362WHP, uncorrected, at

broxma

Plugs from a 2G or 3G eclipse, and OBDII male side, a lot of soldering or making a patch harness, an Evo VIII ECU, an Evo knock sensor, preferably an Evo MAS, a tactrix cable and a laptop.

And then a bunch of time.

I wrote a How To a while back on it. Has links to most of the schematics and stuff.

/brox

4thStroke

What were you using before the Evo ECU for engine management?

How much do you guys figure you've spent on the whole setup, from start to finish?

381gvr4

Before this setup I had a keydiver chipped EPROM. I invested $130 for the ecu, $50 for the evo knock sensor and $25 for ecu plug and pigtails=$205. The jumper harness took me 1.5hrs and the 2g MAF is working flawless with the latest corrections out there.

I have a built bottom end at 9.0:1, ported/built head with BC272's and a Garrett 3076r and I'm looking to top 500 at the wheels.... It feels like a totally different car and is no longer a comprimise of streetability!

My understanding is finding ecu's is a little tougher and little more expensive now....

EDIT: I did also update to a black top CAS as it has a more accurate reading. Updated ecu technology, updated CAS.

Last edited:

QnzMostWanted

just an idea for those who cant find an ECU
the 3g Manual ECU is EXACTLY the same as the Evo ECU (pinouts etc) just with a different ROM
the 3g guys just flash an EVO Rom when they are ready to boost...

Okayplayer

This is a very encouraging write up. I have to replace my ecu anyways, and I plan to do so with an evo set up like this. I can't wait! So what's the power delivery like with that 3076r? I was planning on getting that same turbo in a few months. What rpm does is start to spool, and when do you hit full boost?

381gvr4

Power delivery is good! I was able to build 10psi at a stop with the anti lag. Boost comes in good with full boost by 3750rpm-ish. I also did have a w/g actuator vacuum leak so we will see if that changes any. I bought a Garrett 18psi actuator this time around. Sunday we will continue on......

Okayplayer

Wow, that sounds pretty good. How does it compare to MHI turbos like a E316G? Is it as responsive?

381gvr4

Well, no! The E16g will spool quite a bit sooner. But for the power and top end it is worth it to me. Also easy to drive and get awesome MPG's by being able to stay out of boost when needed.

PM me with any setup questions to stay on topic.

524of1000

Quoting Okayplayer:
Wow, that sounds pretty good. How does it compare to MHI turbos like a E316G? Is it as responsive?

Before my 60-1 swap I was running a 16g on the Evo 8 ecu and it worked flawlessly. Boost was near instant and throttle was responsive. The only problem I had was when mt wastegate vacuum line tore and I ended up running 30+ PSI I'd hit fuel cut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Okayplayer

That is no good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif, I am going to stick with a small turbo, because I don't do much highway driving, and I dig the boost. Not to thread jack, but what is a super responsive small turbo that would work well with this setup, besides MHI turbs?

Okayplayer

So how was it tuning? Did the stock map work for it or did you have to change some parameters to make it work? How hard is the tuning software to work?

broxma

If you run an Ebay/MHI 16G with factory Evo Injectors, Evo MAS, you can pretty much run the stock Evo Map. It's a setup so similar that the factory map will be fine, all be it, not tuned. The factory Evo map has A/F ratios down south of 10.0 at the top end, very conservative. The difference in compression is not a real problem, especially since the Evo map uses calculated load for the timing and fuel maps. What this means is, boost will be proportional to airflow, airflow is proportional to load. So it will essentially give you fuel and timing according the how well the car is pumping air. With an equivalent, or damn near, sized turbo, boost and airflow will be proportional again. Changing to a large frame turbo upsets things due to lean fueling down low for spool(On the stock turbo) when the large turbo isn't actually up to speed yet. My car(35R, Evo ECU, 8.8/1 CR) was sitting around 14 flat A/F going into boost because the load was so low for the expected RPM. Then when the turbo kicks in(4K+ rpm for me), the airflow and load go through the roof. The car has to then make huge changes very suddenly which it interpolates between cells on the map. This is a problem when the car goes from 100 load to 280 load in the matter of a second. For this you have to rescale the load cell ranges on the map, something you can do on the Evo maps, to show more resolution at the RPM/load points you need(Cutting down the cell transitions from 10-20 load points to maybe 5-10).

Is it easy to tune? I think so. The newer versions (Version 7) of the Evo maps have what are called "Big maps" which offer an absolutely insane number of columns and rows to work with. So many in fact, that transposing the stock map only uses about 1/3 the big map. This means much more ability to fine tune specific RPM/load points. These maps are for both the timing and the fuel on the high octane, low octane, alternative, and launch maps.

/brox

Okayplayer

I'm surprised more people aren't getting on this mod. I think that it's pretty cool that you can put modern computing in an older car. And it seems to be very cost effective sans some sweat equity. I haven't tried ecmlink or dsmlink yet, but to me I don't see the downside of this.

381gvr4

I was nervous to find a downside but havent as of yet. For $205 invested, I figured I couldnt lose! Im very happy and Im only just getting started on pulling power due to the fact I couldnt get over 17psi..... Parts arent set to be here until monday the 24th so I have to wait until the 30th to get back on the road now. I hope it doesnt rain!

Okayplayer

I think it's a great deal. Doesn't the Evo maf have the capability to run speed density?

broxma

You don't use the MAF if you run speed density. You use a GM IAT sensor and a 3bar map sensor from an Evo 10, and ditch the maf entirely. Maybe your question was doesn't the ECU have the capability to run speed density, in which case, the answer is yes.

/brox

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts