The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Wet Sanding/ Buffing always necessary after clear coat application?

76/2000 had painted on pin stripes that I removed. During the removal process I at times removed some clearcoat. I decided to use some rattle can automotive touchup clear coat that I had handy. I didn't respray the base coat, I just cleaned up the basecoat with dish soap, let it dry, and sprayed some clearcoat on top of it.

The end result was EXCELLENT.

I have all of the sandpaper (1000/1500/2000 grit), 3m rubbing compound, 3m glaze, and a buffer to smooth it out and get it to shine again.

Is there any reason that I need to go through all of that though if I am EXTREMELY happy with the results of the work? I don't like to mess with success. The surface isn't even rough.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

boostedinaz

You don't have to but it would make it look even better.

Thanks...it looks REALLY good as it is. Can I come back in say a years time and wet sand/buff? Also is durability effected by not doing anything?

89Mirageman

I know for regular automotive paint you only sand and buff to remove trash or if you're looking for a show quality finish. I say if it looks good as it is and you're happy to leave it alone. Nothing like buffing off a little too much and having to start over or burning through the paint.

boostedinaz

You can always come back and do this at any time. If you do you will have to wash the car, strip the wax off, clay bar the whole thing, then start the sanding, buffing, etc..

The only thing I can think of that would effect duribilty would be if you went to far with sanding and the clear ended up really thin.

Ian M

I agree,if it looks good leave it alone. No worries about possibly having swirls in the the paint from the buffer,plus totally smooth sanded and buffed paint stratches,or at least shows scratches easier. The OE finish is straight out of a gun.

A good friend of mine who does custom paint on motorcycles and race cars ($20,000+ kandy,flake jobs)doesn't even always sand and buff. He'll wet sand the clear between coats and it lays on like glass. Of course a downdraft booth and being a badass painter helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

GSX_TC

yeah man if your happy with it then leave it. my car is basically how yours is right now. (yet to be wet sanded and buffed) but it still looks pretty decent. when i throw on my new bumper and hood, im gonna go ahead and wet sand and buff the entire car to perfect the paint. its supposed to give the paint that new look.

Galantvr4559

Ok guys I am a painter/body man and in my experience rattle can clear is ok but doesnt have the uv protectants in it like automotive clear coat do. I wouldnt buff on rattle can clear because it will just pollish off. Its happened to me before and wet sanding and polishing ur car is unneccessary when a good polish should do the trick if u know what you are doing. Step 1 with 3m compound and white pad. Step 2 black pad and machine polish to remove swirl marks from compound. Then a good wax and it will look great.

Thanks all. I need to stop posting in the newbie section, lots of good responses here.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts