The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

rear main seal , metal ring.

Brunoboy

Does anyone ever reuse it? When I replaced the rear main seal, I didnt reuse the metal ring, Do you need it? Is there anyone else that isnt using this?
-Shane

Adorsey

I think it is to hold the rear main seal in place? I kept it in there. My gasket kit came with 2 different thickness gaskets? weird

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I think it is part of the oil control/drain, because you have to have it oriented with the hole in a certain position.

Brunoboy

I'm pulling the trans and going to change my flywheel and clutch so I might as well change the rear main again, that's why I'm asking if I should put te ring back in.

BluFalcon

The metal ring is an air-oil separator. You need to re install this part and ensure that the hole is in the correct position. A buddy had it installed 180 out from where it needed to be and had a nasty rear main seal leak.

Brunoboy

any diagrams or photos of how its supposed to be installed?
-Shane

Brunoboy

any closer view of the ring? which way does the metal ring face? and hole downwards?

the teeth faces the block and the whole towards the bottom. it should pritty much click into place. some are harder than others and may not want to click in. thats when you start bolting it slowly and evenly like pressure plate to flywheel.

Brunoboy

thanks for the info guys.

Brunoboy

Anytricks to doing the replacement? RTV? Does the seal just slide in and that's it?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
No RTV that I recall. Just fits in there.

Brunoboy

How about the housing gasket?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I usually glue them on the seal housing with gasket adhesive, but you could use a real thin smear of RTV to mount it on there.

Brunoboy

Quoting Adorsey:

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So the Housing has the Ring in it already? Then the Seal would be sitting on top of the ring going into the motor?
-Shane

Does it go:
Case-->Oil Separator-->Oil Seal-->Motor?
or:
Case-->Oil Seal-->Separator-->Motor?

Last edited:

it goes
case - seal - metal ring - block.

to install the seal I use the power steering pulley that bolts to the water pump (I have a spare one) and knock it into place with a hammer. it is perfect size for the seal

Brunoboy

So the teeth face the block on the ring? And do I need any type of silicone or RTV on the seal?

grocery_getter

Quoting iceman69510:
I usually glue them on the seal housing with gasket adhesive, but you could use a real thin smear of RTV to mount it on there.

Brunoboy

thats for the gasket right ^? It wasnt clarified if I am supposed to put rtv on the seal itself before I put it into the block.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts