The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Who's venting their catch cans w/o pcv?

89coltgt

I am building the crankcase vent setup for my truck right now. I would really like to recirculate it into the inlet pipe, but there may not be enough room for all of the plumbing on the truck. With that said, who runs a regular catch can w/o pcv hooked up? Have you had any issues with the setup? Thanks guys.

89coltgt

Thanks wop. How long do you go between oil changes and do you notice alot of blow-by fumes while driving?

mikus

I ran VCV/PCV vented on #39 briefly and got enough oil/blowby to go back quick. motor had pretty good compression #'s.

I ran PCV to intake, VCV vented on #1886 and it was fine, but, it was tuned with that setup. I barely ever had oil in the can.
I looked at a vr4 recently with the same configuration and it was getting some oil in the catchcan.

thecman02

I'm venting like Mark. It works okay. Occasionally after a good pull if I have the vents on it will pull in blowback/smell. This is on a car with 180psi compression across the board. If I'm getting on it a lot I'll be a quart low out the catch can by 500 miles. I'm thinking about plumbing my catch can back into the pan like the OLOA guys did with their GVR4. I would also like to convert my catch can some way so that I could suck/pull a vaccuum by plumbing it into the intake. It would help suck moisture out of the oil and relieve even more pressure, but that is going to be more involved.

I would say the vent only set up works, but it isn't ideal for oil longevity.

JSchleim18

^^I am re-routing it back into the pan for spirited driving runs/HPDE events.

I used to have it drain into the balance shaft inspection hole:

MRG-A104M
SUM-220710-N

My catch can has a petcock fitting already attached to it with the same size fitting as the -4 AN. Then just use some good rubber hose.

Last edited:

turbowop

I used to notice the smell from venting but that was because I was missing the seal at the back of the hood so the HVAC intake vents were sucking in the vapors. I replaced that seal and it's no longer an issue.

A setup routed back to the pan would be ideal, but for how little I drive the car I don't worry about it, and just check/empty the catchcan periodically. During boost, the PCV valve is closed anyway, so all I'm missing is the vacuum suckage at idle and when cruising. I know the VCV is setup for the turbo to put a slight vacuum on the crankcase under boost, but I haven't noticed any drawbacks over many years of having it setup like this.

*edit* BTW, I change my oil about every 2500 on 1051. I change the oil in 503 about every 5000. But it still has the PCV/VCV setup like stock.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned