The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need Advice installing Boost And Oil Press Gauge ..Newbie Here

Ok i just bought an Oil Pressure and Boost/Vac Gauge From Glow Shift and wanted to see if You guys can give me some pointers I never done this before but im not affraid to dig in and do the work my self. Im going to look into your How To Section see if i find any thing there .But if you guys Know of any Videos or Write ups with Lots of pics that would Be Very Helpfull im planning on doing this on Sunday Morning on my day off.. any advice would really help me out

AnotherNewb

I can't help you with a video but here is a short write up.

For your oil pressure gauge I will assume yours is electric since the last set of glowshift gauges I installed was. Now, before we start more than likely the oil pressure sendind unit isn't going to thread into the oil filter housing, it will start to thread but will feel like dog sh*t with every turn. The reason is that the ofh is pipe thread, meaning it tappers to seal. Before you start your install you should either source out an adapter or a tap to thread the hole in the ofh.

With that out of the way... decide where you want your gauges sitting and look to see what hole are available to run wires/hose through. Your oil pressure gauge is going to need a 12v power source, any keyed source is fine to tap into. You will need to run a single wire to your oil pressure sending unit. Look on the fire wall under the dash and look for a plug or rubber grommet hat you can poke a hole through and run your wires. Just be sure there is something to protect the wire from bare metal.

For your boost/vacuum gauge it only requires you to run a hose to a vac/press source, on your throttle body where the vacuum lines are connected are 4 ports, t into the port labled P.

For your lights what I usually do is find the connector for the dash light dimmer switch and tap into it. That way your gauges dim with your dash lights.

Ah crap, you probably have the gauges that you can't see through without being lit. In that case, same 12v source as your oil gauge. Hope his helps.

Ok i did some reasearch and seems like The Boost Gauge wont be as difficult as i thought it would be but the oil Pressure gauge im Not too sure on how im going to install that...well i wanted to know what this thing was and where the hell it goes??

14u2nV

That's the sensor. I just removed the stock one on the oil filter housing and replaced it with that. Mine screwed right in fine with no retapping. You only use one wire, and it goes to the gauge.

Last edited:

Ok thanks for the PIC that really helped alot I had no idea were thay thing went hopefully by tommorrw ill have it in and working

Ok now I need to run the boost gauge hose But I have no IDEA!! were to run it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I looked at some videos and they ran it some were by the door but I see no were I can run it... Were would be the best place to run this hose???

14u2nV

I made a hole in the rubber that surrounds the steering, and ran it there.

ok i have one more question were do i Put the T Connector there's just so Many Hoses and I again have no Idea were to connect it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifim going search around online and see if i can find somthing that will help me out but hope i can get the Boost gauge in by today

Diego

Quoting 14u2nV:
I made a hole in the rubber that surrounds the steering, and ran it there.

same... all wiring will look cleaner imho if they all run through that same hole, and not have them hanging out the door or down the door..

Ok guys one more Question whats a good place to hook up the wire that needs to be on to a 12 source that will turn on and turn off with the ignition????

14u2nV

It depends on where you mounted your gauges. You can tap into one on the radio harness.

It depends on where you mounted your gauges. You can tap into one on the radio harness.

I got the Pillar so its going to be on the sides.... True the Radio Didnt think of that....I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO PUT THE T HOSE FOR THE BOOST LINE I REALLY NEED HELP ON THIS ONE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif.....I got the Ground and positive wires ready just need the T hose and the 12volt source which im going to work on right now

14u2nV

img.php

is this the hose im suppose to cut??..I wanna make sure before i cut away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14u2nV

that little one at the tip of your finger, NOT the big one with the clamp. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

hey one last question before i take off this T thing has a little brass thing in there is that suppose to be there or do i take it off ??

ill Post a pic of it tomorrow i got to go to work now but thank for answering all my question i got the Gauge in just no lights but its working i took it for a test drive and floored it the highst it went was like to 8 is this about right???

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts