The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fuel pump question

Muggus

I hate trying to remove that fuel line by the pump because im always scared of snapping that stupid metal line. I was just wondering if there was a different connection maybe further up i can remove that might be easier. I know that 1g's have them somewhere. Iv been soaking it in WD for a couple days but i still hate that connection.

524of1000

use a flare wrench, It will make the job alot easier than a regular or adjustable wrench.

Muggus

Dam, ill just continue to spray it and try like next week or something. I dont really drive the car much so i can be patient.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
You can remove the hose from the hard line at the forward end of the hose. It is right by the front end of the fuel tank. I did that before.

turbowop

Quoting 524of1000:
use a flare wrench, It will make the job alot easier than a regular or adjustable wrench.

I've seen them so tight that even a flare wrench wouldn't work. If one of those fails, some vice grips locking pliers will work. You can usually get them so tight that there is no way they'd slip off.

Muggus

Yeah im more worried about the metal line bending and snapping from being so old and in shitty shape. Ill probably try the front line first because it looks to be in slightly better shape.

mitsuturbo

I once soaked one of these connections in brake fluid for nearly a week before trying to remove it again, and it worked great.

Another, there was no way i was getting it loose... nothing worked. Vice grips just crushed the nut a little. It would NOT budge.

I ended up cutting the tube, then putting it back together with a chunk of rubber hose and 2 hose clamps.

Last edited:

WaRrIoRs16

I soaked mine in liquid wrench for 3 days but even then the flare wrench almost ruined my day. So I tried vice grips and they worked flawlessly.

Muggus

The sending unit wouldnt happen to be the same as a 1g awd would it? I think i might have one laying around in case this one breaks.

mitsuturbo

It's really no problem to cut the tube if you absolutely have to. When you put it into a rubber hose and butt the ends up close, and clamp it down good with two clamps, the only thing you have to worry about is the hose cracking after a few years. Mine was good for about six years... until 161/2000 got hit while parked and totaled.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts