The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Can I still use this?

The_Big_Weave

About a week ago I was driving the galant and it was making the supercharger noise so I just brushed it off because it is way to cold to pop the hood. About 2 days ago I was driving the car and the noise quit and I could only boost about 4 pounds, I found out why.

What could have caused this? I am having trouble understanding what happend? car still runs great just smokes really bad and the turbo has around 1/2 inch of shaft play in every direction.

Turbo is a small 16g. That has been rebuilt by a friend on mine he scribed the wheel and used the GPOP shop rebuild kit around 2k miles ago.

Luckly I have a spare 14b, not in the best condition but still works.

Last edited:

1990ggsxnj

Looks like you either sucked something in there (less likely) or... the rebuild wasn't done right and the lack of balance caused the bearings and seals to deteriorate very quickly to the point where the wheel hit the housing. My bet is the exhaust blade doesn't look that great either.

1990ggsxnj

They're probably long gone... or fused to the top of the pistons /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

IncorpoRatedX

doesnt look like blade touch down from a bad rebuild to me. looks like something got in there, inspect your intake set up and see if any small nuts or washers or anything are missing. turbo is not a good grinder.

grocery_getter

What kind of intake pipe setup do you have? I've seen first hand how a bad intake pipe can destroy a turbo. If you inspect the filter and pretty sure that nothing else can come in from external environment to do the damage, inspect the weld on the intake pipe (if yours is welded) some times when people weld their piping, the inside is not clean (usually from mig welding or just too much little left over weld bits) Over times these little dingleberries (that's what I call 'em) will separate from the pipe and will go straight into the turbo. Sort of like mini high velocity projectiles heading for the turbo blades.

1990ggsxnj

Quoting The_Big_Weave:
I am running the stock intake with a GM maf and a Checker auto parts cone filter.

Is the GM Maf in blow through setup? If so, you may find something there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

DR1665

Take a peek inside that generic cone filter. Sometimes they have metal reinforcements inside them that come unglued after enough heat cycles. A good friend of mine nearly lost an HRC S16G a few years back when some metal cap-type deal inside the filter came loose and got sucked into the compressor inlet. Fortunately for him, the cap was about 1mm larger in diameter than the inlet of his turbo. He'd get on the throttle and, just before positive manifold pressure, the car would bog way down until he let off the gas. Damnedest thing.

Sorry to see you've lost the snail.

mitsuturbo

That's what a turbo looks like when this happens:

Inhaled2.jpg

Fortunately, THIS one didnt eat the spacer. I have had a turbo consume one completely, though... and seen a couple others that have done the same. It's always looked just like what you're showing us above.

The_Big_Weave

I pulled the turbo off and I could not find the spacer any where so I amguessing that is what happened.

524of1000

Check the hot side of the IC. That's where I found leftovers when 524 are some dehydrated intake pipe...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned