The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What is causing my doors to unlock?

jepherz

Staff member
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the ETACS system in our cars is what automatically unlocks the doors (right after you've locked them) if you have a door open and your key in the ignition. This portion of the system has always worked for me until recently. For some reason, I can shut my car off and remove my key from the ignition, open the driver's door, and lock the doors from the driver side. This tells me that the switch telling the ETACS system that the key is NOT in the ignition is there and working. However, if I shut my car off, open the driver's door and try to lock the PASSENGER side, just recently it has started not allowing this.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening?

blacksheep

Cold weather or mechanical look issue /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

One of my gvr4's did some kooky shiat with the locks, mang. I don't remember what the fix was, but it had to do with the rod for the lock arm or something behind the doors....

jepherz

Staff member
Hmm, I may have to take a look at that... The only reason I know that it happens this way is because there is something restricting the passenger side lock actuator a bit; if I rely on the automatic locks to lock that door, it only pushes the lock down about half way and it's a gamble if it's actually locked.

blacksheep

Yep, it would like lock half way or bounce back up halfway when it locked. I know that it had to do with door innards, Jeffy.

Rausch

Mine did that exact thing. The linkage was binding in the door. The actuator would not be able to force the lock tabby guy up all the way, and would reset- locked.

IIRC, it was the rod to the lock/latch in the door that was causing the issue, but YMMV.

moidsm1

My Galant GS does the same thing once in a while. It will unlock after I lock it. I just keep trying till it stays locked. I agree with it being a binding issue, if the actuator cant smoothly pull the locks down then they will return to the original position.

mitsuturbo

161/2000 had this problem after my ex gf spilled soda on part of the door, soaking the plastic lock tab... once it dried, it would stick the tab up or down, and would cause the locks to return to position. Make sure nothing is sticking in any one door. Watch the locks when you lock it.. see if any dont want to go down.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts