The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Extrude Honing a turbo housing?

cheekychimp

When I was looking at extrude honing an exhaust manifold, something I remember from one of many threads I read on the subject was that extrude honing was best used on parts where normal porting was difficult/impossible. Someone said if you want to extrude hone something do the turbo housing.

So I thought about this. If you physically remove material I would think the effects would be similar to porting out the housing or clipping the wheel, i.e. more top end flow, laggier spool up ... BUT ... the poster suggested extrude honing the housing would reduce turbo lag /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Discuss!

ktmrider

There were some great articles about this when EH first became viable for commercial auto use ( around 2003 IIRC ).

Not only did they report increased HP, 10-20% depending on model and turbo, it also "increased" turbo efficiency. So you got both increased power and lower compressor-side temps. Spool was a tad lower too, less friction in the system.

At the time it was Extrudingly Expensive, mainly since there were very few companies in the US doing it.

Awesome stuff for irregular or asymmetrical surfaces like compressor housings and cylinder heads ( altho there were better gains on EM side of heads than intake ). Removes metal quite evenly and with fine media can create a very polished surface w/o removing a bunch of material.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned