The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Looking for solutions to very annoying problem

Terry Posten

For those of you that have solid motor mounts, removed balance shafts, and big cams, you know this problem all to well.

Way to many rattles.

After spending a ton of time finding the rattles, some are very hard to fix.

The one that has me stumped is the ignition key.

I have a brand new key cut with the code and the key vibrates inside the cylinder. If you touch it, the rattle goes away.

My thought is trying that liquid rubber coating that you can buy for coating screw driver shafts and pliers handles to cover just the shaft of the key after the cut area. Just a thin coating so that it has a snug fit just as the key is inserted all the way in.

What do you guys think? Would it stay on?

Does anybody have a bottle of the coating material I could try some test keys in?

Terry Posten

Something like this stuff.

click

Only costs $10 shipped on fleabay.

You can even get it in aerosol spray cans.

14u2nV

I wouldn't use that, unless you just put it up at the top 1/4" or so,, getting it onto the teeth, then having pieces get stuck in the cylinder would suck. What about just coating the key faces in something like fingernail polish. It is probably thick enough to work, and pretty hard when dry. I'll try one now and let you know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

*waiting for the polish to dry, I thought of an easier method:

This is just foam insulation, but if you used some thick rubber, cut it to fit nicely,, you would never need to remove it and it does make the key solid in the hole. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

curtis

I have 2 pieces of stainless steel about 8 inches long tig welded down the middle. Chris had to show off his skills to me so I chucked it up in the mill and made a keychain. A pound of stainless will keep it from rattling but is hell on your knee caps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Remove the plastic end from the top of the key replace with a shorty screw driver head problem solved

img.php

Now just tell me how to stop my shifter from vibrating while I am driving.
A little finger pressure forward or backwards and its fine by itself vrrrrr
between that and the hood rattling drives me nuts need to try that hood fix in
the how to section I guess...

Last edited by a moderator:

turbowop

I just get used to the rattles. Considering how harsh the suspension is, and how much the car vibrates from the cams, poly motor mounts, removal of balance shafts, and worst...the twin disk clutch, I figure it's just something extra to deal with as a trade off for better performance. While it's most noticeable at idle, everything seems to smooth out as the car gains speed. Feels like butter at freeway speeds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Those rattles drive me crazy. I've solved most of them. There are still 2 that needs to get resolved, one is the hood & the other the front doors. The hook on the jam had some sort of hardened plastic cover on it @ some point but that's now all gone.

Brunoboy

its 5.99 at Home depot, Its Plastidip. not a bad product at all.

turbowop

Actually, I did have a rattling hood hinge that drove me up the wall. I fixed that with a new one. None of the other rattles in my car even come close to how annoying that was, which is why I say I don't bother with them. If you have anything like that though, I don't blame you for wanting to fix them.

Brianawd

I like all the rattling and noises my /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif car makes. Its like I'm driving a race car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

004tsi

Between the stereo and the exhaust, I don't hear any rattles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

christo

I finally switched out the timing side poly mount for a new oem one. All the other mounts are poly, but just changing that one made a huge difference.

I couldn't take the rattleing anymore, when there was one I couldn't track down it turned out to be the key in the cylinder. I also had the hood rattle thing going, beyond annoying but changing that one mount took care of it.

Last edited:

cheekychimp

Quoting Blown1:
Remove the plastic end from the top of the key replace with a shorty screw driver head problem solved

img.php

Can you get me a couple of those? I'll gladly pay shipping!

Last edited:

JNR

How worn is your ignition (tumblers)? Many people put so many keys and other things on their keyrings (weight dangling), it ends up prematurely wearing the ignition over time. Also, being they are generally brass, it compounds this problem and I would think it's 'loose' (tolerance) to begin with.

I would start with a new ignition and, if these are anything like others, you should be able to 'customize' the tumblers to fit your existing key, if that makes sense.

Last edited:

Hondakiller

Quoting 14u2nV:
I wouldn't use that, unless you just put it up at the top 1/4" or so,, getting it onto the teeth, then having pieces get stuck in the cylinder would suck. What about just coating the key faces in something like fingernail polish. It is probably thick enough to work, and pretty hard when dry. I'll try one now and let you know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

*waiting for the polish to dry, I thought of an easier method:

This is just foam insulation, but if you used some thick rubber, cut it to fit nicely,, you would never need to remove it and it does make the key solid in the hole. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hondakiller

I like "14u2nv ideal. Don't use a rubber coating on your key that will cause problem with the key tumbler go with the foam or see I u can find a nice key chain with some weight to it that might help but don't get crazy with the weight cuz that can also wear out the key tumbler out!

Terry Posten

Quoting Terry Posten:
to cover just the shaft of the key after the cut area.

I was not talking about the whole key.

Basically doing the same as the "foam" idea above but something that would look a lot better and not fall off like the foam.

I only use the key without any ring because the fobs/rings rattle even more.

Hondakiller

Ok I see what you are saying. Now how about not putting anything on the key maybe put like a rubber, or like a stiffer type of foam on the on the tumbler it's self and cut out the slot where the key hoes in?

14u2nV

I tried one of the injector orings, and it fits tight, and looks good. It's just a little to small to reach though. The foam looks bad, but if you used something like a thick washer or such, you could make it look good.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts