The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Drilling 5 lug rotors for 4 lug hubs

curtis

The rotors can be drilled...I saw Big Time Brox's Massive Parts Clearance for sale thread and someone asked so here's how with really no effort or tools. If you don't own a drill and bits your pretty well screwed at this point so you can stop reading now.

Ok your still here that means you own a drill .....gooooood deal so lets start.

All you need to do is flip over the 4 bolt rotor and set in on the 5 lug rotor. Your going to keep/use one hole of the 5 lug so center up the hub hole and then take an extra wheel stud or bolt and place it in the one hole to keep and tighten it down. Now if your really scared at this point you can use a few small c clamps and place them in the hub hole and tighten them up. Now the fun part take a center punch and a hammer and make a mark in each of the 3 holes to drill. If you don't have a set of center punches that finds the center for you a nailset sharpened up and some tape wrapped around it until it fits perfect in the hole works. Now after the hole is marked and staked with the punch get a small 1/8 or so drill bit and drill your first hole in each. Then start stepping up or use a unibit/chrismas tree bit and drill until the size is reached on each then unbolt the stud and remove clamps and drill on the backside to get rid of any metal that floated over to the inside. If your using a unibit you will only be able to drill a few steps before you'll have to stop and unbolt and set the old one aside dependant on which dia bits you use. Takes about 15 minutes to do with a hand drill, rotors are cast and really easy to drill.

If you want pictures I can do it just lazy right now and don't feel like walking out to the shop for the camera. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

click me These are the ones I used for mine and probably have bought and used up 15 sets of these since harbor freight opened here in town. There not that bad if you drill a pilot hole first and don't overspeed them, I've bought the Irwin brand ($60 each) ones as well and they seem to be a little sharper at first and do last about twice as long but I can get 6 packs of Harbor freight ones for the price of one Irwin. Problem is Harbor freight got flooded and now have to drive to Nashville when I need stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Oh and these are totally bad ass as well picked up a set back in the summer. click me

Terry Posten

Uni-bits are a must have if you own a drill.

If you want to avoid having to clean the burr off of the back side of the piece you are drilling, stop drilling half way through the medium on the final "step" and flip it over and finish the step size from the back.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have done the reverse of this a few times on rears. Typically one of the small threaded holes for rotor removal can be located to directly where another lug stud hole needs to be drilled when going that direction. May work from 5 to 4 as well.

Last edited:

cheekychimp

Yeah even I might be able to manage this with my limited selection of tools and rooftop workshop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts