The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

No Reverse or Overdrive

Hi

1994 F4A22 KM175 transmission no reverse or overdrive

Transmission runs perfect in all gears 1-3....When in park first gear is still engaged and wants to move forward if accelerated and when in reverse first gear is still engaged and will not go into reverse....i guess because first it is still engaged.....Also when in reverse seems like the parking pawl is still engaged

When in neutral the car is in first gear and will go up to a certain MPH then it will seem like neutral till speed comes down

When overdrive button is pressed car slows considerable and will overheat transmission due to i guess first gear not disengaging...

None of these symptoms exist when the vehicle is off wheels move freely in all gears except of course park.......Also this occurred once before and went away but now two weeks later it is back and seems to be here to stay....Any help with a diagnosis would be greatly appreciated!

Linkages are ok as well as fluid...changed fluid no metal parts ect.

Thanks

Terry Posten

My first guess would be the TCU (Transmission Control Unit). Pull it out and see if the caps inside have leaked. It is under the center console way up under the dash. It is a 6"x7"x2" silverish gold metal box that has 3 large plugs going into one end.

You should be able to get a tested used TCU for around $100.

I would not drive it until you get it fixed though.

Terry Posten

Oh wait, that is a 7th gen body style right? If so, the TCU may not be in that location.

Yeaa checked all that tcu is good...i'm gueesing fluid is either leaking past a seal activating first gear or something wromg with the valve body

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned