The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

electric cutout

Jesh

I'm contemplating doing this in the near future and was curious... how fast does the cutout open? is it instant or take a second or two? obviously this will vary by brand and quality, but just to kinda get an idea. thanks guys.

Barnes

I think there are videos of these things in action on the internet. I'm sure there is a demo video showing the action.

broxma

I have a QTP 3" cutout which I need to get welded on my DP. It was previously on the Evo however so I can answer your questions.

It takes a few seconds to open. Not long, maybe 2-3 to open fully. The switch has to be a three position, intermittent switch or you'll burn out the motor. They tend to loose their ability to seal over time as they get gunked up with crap.

/brox

Brunoboy

QTP is one of the best, it has a separate controller to open anywhere from 0-100% by a push of a button.
-Shane

broxma

I bought my QTP with the Y pipe off EvoM a few years back for like 140. I hooked it up to a high dollar switch which allows me to put it where I want it. When I had the Evo on the dyno I played with it a bit during the runs and it did what you would expect. Open, the car dropped a bit of torque but gained HP. I really like the thing and generally ran around town with it open honestly. The main reason was because the rest of the car was so loud it drowned it out.

/brox

I'm running a QTP right now. It takes about 5-6 seconds from full closed to full open. Ground clearance is also an issue. But, like everything, there's always a compromise. I have a completely stock exhaust system from the converter back. Nice quiet cruising at freeway speeds. Looks completely stock. Sounds totally stock, even with the 272s.

Another issue you run into is tuning. Volumetric efficiency is different with it open and closed. At WOT with the cutout closed I run a full point richer. I also get compressor surge due to the backpressure.

So, there's good and bad to it. The compromises are worth it to me.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts