The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Inline 044 pump with wally 255 in tank?

3rdstrikedsm

Simple question, How does this work without the in tank pump becoming a restriction?
Are most people doing this with a hobbs switch?

3rdstrikedsm

Yes this makes most logical sense, I guess the honda boys are the only ones who run both at all times. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4thStroke

I think Brianawd runs his 255 and 044 at the same time. I run my intank 255 and inline 255 at all times as well and don't really have much of an issue. I've been contemplating trying the Hobbs switch to see if it makes any noticeable difference.

3rdstrikedsm

Well as long as you are tuned for the overrun then it would most likely work?

curtis

Surge tank before the 044 with a feed back to your tank that way they both run all the time and the 044 will always get a full supply of gas always.

With mine I'm going to run a 044 in the safe to a surge tank with a -8 and back from it will be a -8 so it doesn't see much pressure then out from the surge tank to the sx with a -12 then out of the sx will be a large distribution block that has a -10 in and 2 -6's out that will feed both ends of the rail. As for the surge tank mine is going to be one of those large aluminum extrusions you see for sale at car part swap meets that have the fins inside and out there really for trans coolers for old rat rods but when I saw it I had to have it and 30 bucks was cheap enough. But anything can be used a old kidde fire extinguisher works well and have built them for people but if its a e85 set up you need to used a piece of stainless tubing.

I have to build one for my buddies honda because with the sumped tank if its sitting with the nose down hill the pump starts to scream with anything less than 1/2 a tank. I figure a 3 inch piece of thick wall tubing or a fire bottle will work fine. Just a 30 or so seconds of reserve is all he needs.

The one I have is a single pass and like 32 inches long but is similar to this with pipe thread ends should keep the fuel way cool click me.

3rdstrikedsm

Ok that helps a lot so I guess back to the drawing board /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The problem is on this car which is a 500whp e-85 evo is that it just went lean for no apparent reason so we have replaced everything fuel related and nothing seems to help so we are now on to the Butcher racing double pumper set up which is where I am guessing the problem is as walbro pumps are far from reliable so I am going to swap them for a single wally and the 044 with surge tank /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3rdstrikedsm

That's a good idea mounting it there in the stock filter location!

beaner

I've read the 044 is out of warranty if you do not have a filter before it. The best setup I've seen was the fuel filter in stock location, with a 90degree fitting threaded into the top of the filter, then the 044. This not only keeps a filter before the pump, but completely removes the restrictive banjo bolt. Both fuel pumps were wired together to avoid only one failing, which would be a recipe for disaster. I'll post the link or pic if I can find either later.

Brianawd

I'm running a 255intake with 044 inline. You will only have fpr over run if using a stock fpr. There really should be no reason to run the stock one if your at the point that you need two pumps. As for the 255 being a restriction. Its not because its operating at almost no pressue so it can flow more than the 044 can flow.

slugsgomoo

exactly, as the pressure the pump has to put out goes down, the flow goes way up, so feeding a big pump with a small one works pretty well. I don't have a baller 044, but I have a walbro 392 fed by a supra in tank that should come on once boost reaches a certain point.

Jazzyjay

I have the intank 255 Walbro and a inline Bosh 044 with a Aeromotive FPR. I am making north of 550whp with no hobbes switch. Should not be a problem as long as you have a aftermaket FPR

Dark_Horse

Quoting 3rdstrikedsm:
I am going to swap them for a single wally and the 044 with surge tank /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Why not just use one of these instead of running a Wally in tank and an 044 inline? click

270 lph @ 5 bar.

3rdstrikedsm

Well this is e-85 so 34-36 psi on 1400cc injectors so I really don't think 1 pump will support that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3rdstrikedsm

Yea but how reliable is it going to be?

Dark_Horse

Jayracing gives them a 1 year warranty. He's also got an E85 tolerant modified 044 that outflows the regular ol' -044 coming out sometime this month too.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned